MBP (Mid-2012) cloning original HDD to new smaller SSD.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MasturB, May 16, 2016.

1. MasturB macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I finally got all the equipment I needed to open up the MacBook and replace the HDD with a SSD.

I got the physical tools and the external enclosure. What's the best way to go about cloning everything from my current laptop HDD to the new SSD?

Should I physically install the new SSD first and put the old HDD in the enclosure?

Or should I put the SSD in the enclosure, find a program to clone or image my current laptop HDD to the SSD and after I clone it, switch out the drives and it should work fine?

Lastly,
    Also, I have a new 250gb Samsung EVO SSD. The MacBook is 500gb. I've already moved enough space to my externals that I should have enough space to not worry about going over the limit on my new SSD?

[​IMG]

It says I've only used 232gb so far, which is under the 250gb threshold.

Does that 232gb also include the recovery partition? I assumed it did because it said capacity was 499gb, and previously if it was partitioned it would be whatever the partition space was minus the disk capacity.

If anyone feels 232gb is too high, I can still move over about 10-15 gigs to another external HDD just to be safe. And if anyone has any suggestions for cloning the harddrive, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Thanks

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Do as you prefer. It's the same result. I tend to think cloning before installation is easier.

- It does not. But the recovery partition takes up less than 1 GB.

- Boot to Recovery Mode and use Disk Utility to clone to the externally connected SSD. This will include the recovery partition. So long as you're below 250 GB to be cloned, it will work. 232 GB is fine, but it's a bit on the low end of the amount you would ideally want to keep free on your system drive.

3. MasturB thread starter macrumors newbie

My plan is to remove the CD drive and install a new HDD for extra storage.

4. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

I'm a fan of installing the new hardware and then loading the OS from a USB stick.

I then copy my data over manually or with migration assistant.

5. MasturB thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought a copy of Carbon Copy Cleaner, and since it's basically copying it exactly, I should just be able to switch them out and it should work no problem?

6. MacInTO macrumors 6502a

MacInTO

Theoretically, yes. I've never used it so can't tell you anything about CCC.

7. MasturB thread starter macrumors newbie

Looked pretty simple.

Cloned the entire HDD, and then asked if I wanted to clone the Recovery Partition as well. So it worked out.