mbp mid 2012, Mountain Lion: Upgrade to Yosemite or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sneak3, Jun 13, 2015.

1. sneak3 macrumors 6502

Hey guys.

I have a macbook pro, non retina, mid 2012. I have the latest Mountain Lion version installed.

- Should I upgrade to Yosemite or wait till Capitan?

- Are there real performance OR noteworthy improvements from ML to Yosemite?

My biggest gripe with ML is the 20 secs restarts and shutdowns. I was hoping I can correct that with Yosemite, but other than that, I don't think I miss anything really.

I need some clarity, folks!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Your 2012 can use the Continuity features in Yosemite. If you have an iPhone that alone is worth the upgrade (at least to me).

3. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502

I really dont care about Continuity.

Im more into performance, fluency, smoothness, less bugs, and general usability. ML gives me that at the moment, so I wonder if Yosemite could provide me with some real and practical improvements.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Wait for OSX 10.11. Also, if you haven't already, you ought to look into upgrading to a SSD.

5. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Why do you think I should wait? Yosemite really not worth it?

I do have a SSD!

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

it is not like iOS......you can revert back if you do not like

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Because OSX 10.11 is supposed to focus on refinement and improving everything in general.

8. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502

I know that man. There's simply not enough time. I use it daily for study and work. An operation like that would set me back days behind if I end up not liking the new OS. Imagine having to configure and install all my settings and apps again, back in ML!

That's great! I'll wait then.

9. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

That's why you always back up using Time Machine.

10. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

If your happy with ML, stick with that. 10.11 will be an improvement over Yosemite and you can upgrade to that in the fall.

11. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Since we are here, I've never really understood the concept behind time machine. Does it really create a perfect copy of every single file, like a mirror of the partition?

12. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Exactly. So basically when you restore from a Time Machine backup, everything is restored, right down to your installed apps, every setting, wallpaper and all other preferences like icon arrangement, etc.

13. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

I've got the same MBP as you, and just like you I've also got an SSD in it. So far it's been running Yosemite perfectly fine. It really helps though if you turn off transparency.

14. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You should care about the security actually.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Is there a feature in 10.10 that you want to take advantage? I don't seem to see a burning desire to upgrade and if there's no need why bother.

16. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Yosemite has not fixed restart and shutdowns issues so you can go back to Lion or Snow Leopard since you don't care much about red hot features on Yosemite OS X.

17. ZVH macrumors 6502

If I were you I'd buy a backup drive and put 3 partitions on it - 1 big one for Time Machine and 2 smaller for Yosemite and El Capitan. Doing this you could first backup your drive, which you really ought to be doing anyway, and then install Yosemite on one of the smaller partitions and try it out. Some people don't like Yosemite for a host of reasons but others do. If it was on an external drive you could test it out and see if you like it. When El Capitan (or El Capitan public beta) comes out you could try that too on the other partition. If you don't like Yosemite, no harm done.

If you just install Yosemite on your system without a backup, restoring back to ML or anything else for that matter isn't that straight forward.