MBP Mid-2012: Upgrading the SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DjanSeriyAnaplian, Jul 24, 2017.

1. DjanSeriyAnaplian macrumors member

DjanSeriyAnaplian

Hey guys

Can you recommend a good SSD to swap my old 250gb one out? I've researched the process but i have no idea what type to buy.

Many thanks

2. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502a

mcpryon2

My go-to for my older MBPs at home and work is the Samsung Evo 850. I put that in my own mid-2012, as well as a few others from 2010 and 2011.

You want the SATA 2.5" form factor, not the M2, which is for something else.

3. treekram macrumors 65816

4. DjanSeriyAnaplian thread starter macrumors member

DjanSeriyAnaplian

Why not? It specifically says that it works with
    Works with the following model IDs:

• MacBookPro10,1
    • MacBookPro10,2
    My model correlates.

I looked for the Samsung Evo 850 in SATA 2.5 form, but it looks far too large to fit. Can someone provide a link and a picture? This is something I want to do myself.

5. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502a

mcpryon2

So, you DO have the retina MacBook Pro? Just use your model identifier if you're looking on macsales.com (they show you how to find it) to find parts. If you have any doubts beyond that then do a serial number lookup.

6. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

The mid-2012 non-retina uses a standard 2.5" SATA drive and has an optical drive.
    If you have a 10,1 or a 10,2 then that's a retina and it uses a proprietary SSD and has no optical drive.
    The one you found from macsales, this one from Transcend https://www.transcend-info.com/apple/jetdrive/ or a genuine used Apple SSD are your only options. You won't find a Samsung EVO for the retinas.

7. treekram macrumors 65816

Besides a serial # check, you can click on the Apple symbol in the upper left and it will bring up a window which tells you which MBP by year + time of year. You can also look at the bottom of the case where it will have the model number. Also, if you have an optical drive (or more specifically, the external slot for an optical drive), you have the mid-2012, if don't have the optical drive slot, it's the Retina model. Once you determine what you have (if it's 10,1/10,2, it's not a "mid"-2012 like your title says), you can make a choice. The earlier model will take SSD's like the Evo 850, the later model will require the various alternatives that you or others have posted.

8. LarryJoe33 macrumors 65816

LarryJoe33

I have the Crucial MX300 and I’m very happy with in.