Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sneak3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
I would like to install win 8.1 along my current OSX ML on my macbook pro, mid 2012.

I was told that UEFI installs have advantages over MBR but I have also heard that might bring drivers issues because Apple did not make UEFI drivers or something like that.

What do you guys think? Is it worth it? Am I going to experience frustrating issues?

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I would like to install win 8.1 along my current OSX ML on my macbook pro, mid 2012.

I was told that UEFI installs have advantages over MBR but I have also heard that might bring drivers issues because Apple did not make UEFI drivers or something like that.

What do you guys think? Is it worth it? Am I going to experience frustrating issues?
Don't bother. Your Mac does not support UEFI 2.0, because the EFI chip in your logic board only supports the EFI 1.1 standard. Only Haswell and later Macs support UEFI 2.0.

You will face all sorts of driver problems if you try to install Windows in UEFI on your Mac.

sneak3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
Thanks man.

On another note, should I update my nvidia GPU drivers or should I leave the one that I downloaded via apple bootcamp (which, in theory, should always be the most up to date)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.