MBP (mid 2014) no longer warns about low battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nabooly, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

Hello all!

Got a small issue with my mid-14 15" macbook pro. It used to give me a pop up notification warning me that the battery is at 10% or less. It no longer comes up for some reason. I don't think I changed any settings; however I don't see any specific settings for it in System Preferences.

I wish I knew exactly when it stopped coming up. I know for sure that when I originally bought this mbp it did give me the popup notification. Could it have been 10.10.1? Anyone else with this issue? It's not a huge problem, just when I'm watching full screen videos without realizing I'm low on battery.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's not restricted to 10.10 or to the new MBP models. The low battery warning appears to be unreliable in many versions of OS X. I've experienced the same issue from time to time since Snow Leopard. I don't depend on it anymore, opting to just check the status from time to time. I know that's a pain when you're watching a movie, but if you're going to do a lot of that, it's a good idea to plug it in (if you can.)

3. Nabooly thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

Well that's too bad, I wonder what it is that prevents it from coming up. My previous MBP late 2008 was 100% reliable with this. Oh well...hopefully 10.10.2 will fix this!

4. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

The low battery alarm on my rMBP comes on at about 3% There's still over 10 minutes life left.

5. Nabooly thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

Mine doesn't come on at all, no matter the battery percentage. Thus far I've been able to catch it before it's down to 1% but it is somewhat annoying. It was such a great feature, can't imagine why it disappeared.

6. 0x100 macrumors regular

0x100

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it is.

About the Low Battery Indicator
    The low battery warning does not display

8. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

No it's not. It says "typically at 1%" so not at 1%. It's normally based on time left. IIRC if it's less than 15 minutes it should give a low battery warning.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's still based on the percentage of battery remaining, combined with the current workload's power demands.
    You're thinking of this:
    So it depends on which OS X version you're running, but even the time remaining is based on the percentage of battery power remaining and the current workload. It's just expressed in time instead of the percentage.

10. Nabooly thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

Whether it's time or percentage, it doesn't appear at all. I will try to repair permissions and an SMC reset. Thanks guys. :)

11. konradsa macrumors regular

You need to display the battery icon in the status bar. If you have turned off the battery icon, you won't get a warning message.