MBP (mid 2014) Wi-Fi and Bluetooth interference.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigpoppamac31, Aug 31, 2015.

1. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

So I have a MBP and I want to stream my music via bluetooth to my Sony soundbar (HT-CT260H). When I try to do so I get a choppy playback but when I turn off my wi-fi on my Mac it works fine. My ISP modem/router is right next to the soundbar which also comes with a wireless subwoofer. Is there any way to get the two to co-exist without interfering with each other? I am not using an Airport Extreme as I don't need to. The modem/router is in the living room next to the TV where the soundbar also is. Would it make sense to move the modem/router to another room? The wi-fi on the router is crap as it is if I'm not in the same room but I can (with hassle) put it in "bridge mode" and use my Airport Extreme for wireless connectivity.

2. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

Yes there are several options(apologies if they seem obvious)

1. Move the devices away from each other(Bluetooth technology jumps channels in the 2.4 ghz range to avoid interfering with other wireless protocols running in their signal frequency spectrum, wifi b/g [n] is a great example of something that by design bluetooth signal will have to compete with) The farther they are away from each other the less "likely" they are to interfere with each other.

2. ISP modems typically aren't the greatest to begin with when it comes to wifi, I would recommend "bridging" your ISP modem to whatever router you fancy(though airport extremes are a good overall choice) for a better internet experience overall(Especially if you have multiple devices gobbling bandwidth), and I would suggest doing this because you won't need to move anything, and internet performance will be better... and as you mentioned wireless signal performance will also be better..

3. Place something made with a material with high interference potential between your modem and the soundbar Read this article as it will give insight into wireless interference and materials that can cause it as well(Effectively the idea is to interfere with the device(s) interference of each other), https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201542

Cheers!

3. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for the tips. Changing my ISP modem/router to "bridge mode" and using my Airport Extreme seems to work.