MBP MiniDisplay>HDMI

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by LunarianCrystal, Oct 3, 2012.

1. LunarianCrystal macrumors newbie

So I was considering buying a Thunderbolt Display when I recently found out I could just buy a normal TV and connect it VIA Mini Display>HDMI adapter. However, I have heard there are drawbacks to this. No sound. I did some research and found that you could buy a special AV cable (No video though) that plugs into the headphone jack to produce sound out of the TV.

My question is...Have any of you done this and does it work well? Are there anymore drawbacks to using the MiniDisplay>HDMI adapter? I have consoles I'd like to connect to a Thunderbolt Display....but yeah, there is no HDMI port (No logic but OK).

Thanks in advance.

2. AdrianK macrumors 68020

2010 and newer Macs can push up to 8 channels over mDP. Apple sells an mDP->HDMI apadaptor (moshi brand) which will carry sound just fine.

3. bkar89 macrumors regular

bkar89

Tvs and pc monitors... apples and oranges, both fruit, but it stops there.

If you're planning on sitting close (<1m) i would stay clear from tv's... They simply arent designed for it.

If you can drop 1000 dollars on a monitor, you can afford a separate TV for game consoles... however, if space is the concern, check out the Dells: 27", IPS panel, 16:9 and 2560x1440 resolution, identical to the Thunderbolt display, just two differences... it supports both DVI and HDMI input! but you'll loose the thunderbolt hub

4. LunarianCrystal thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I was thinking about just getting a small TV for consoles but the less stuff the better. I really want the TB Display but I've read so many people have problems with the ports on the TB Display (USB & Ethernet ports randomly stop functioning - requires unplugging/plugging in or turning off/on).

I'll probably get that IPS Dell Monitor. Looks pretty legit. Thanks for your help guys.