MBP Mod - Swapping Optical for Second Hard Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by groove-agent, Apr 9, 2009.

1. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

Hey all,

I was just looking at the Axiotron Modbooks and noticed they had an option to swap the optical drive out for a second hard drive. I suspect that this is possible with the MBPs. Has anyone looked at this or heard of it being done? I can't imagine it being hard, the two obstacles would be 1) mounting the hard drive inside the cavity and 2) finding the right SATA cable to fit.

Thanks.

2. RKpro macrumors 6502

search, there are a few good recent threads about this

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

4. groove-agent thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys, that's awesome. I'm definitely going for one of those. I didn't honestly think there would be anything out there so I didn't search. I was wrong.

5. groove-agent thread starter macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately that one is for unibody MBPs. I was hoping to get one for the last gen non-unibodies 15".

I did find one from MCE Technologies called the MCE optibay. However, when you click "to be installed into" it only lists the first generation MBP or the white/black MB. So, I"m not sure if it will work for me.

I just read something interesting however. I get the impression that the unibodies were the first to incorporate SATA optical drives. This means that if I want to get a fast SATA drive to replace my optical drive in my MBP I need to get a unibody - but this raises some questions regarding warranty.

6. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

Actually that is correct this is the first Mac laptop( unibody) with Sata connection for the optical bay. I read that also somewhere as well. I'm just not sure what you can use for the older systems. I think they are IDE connections in the optical but don't quote me

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They have the OptiBay for the older computers as well.

8. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

mce does have an option for last gen mbp's

http://store.mcetech.com/Merchant2/...5&Category_Code=STORHDOPTIBAY&Product_Count=2

9. groove-agent thread starter macrumors 6502a