Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
It is just lining up the most inopportune moment to die.

Pretty much...I was hoping to get my thesis written and defended before having to take it in...but at this rate, it'll die before that. Sigh...what an inconvenience. Oh well.

Could be worse I suppose...

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
And it has now died...that was sudden...and inconvenient.

I wonder if the place in town can fix it in 6 days....or if I need to wait until I get back to school. I hope I don't have to wait.

ChrisMcD

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2006
Harrogate
Is there any point in using something like smcFanControl to set the fans baseline setting at a higher level - say 2000 rpm?

I would have thought that slowing heating up was a better strategy than trying to cool it down once it is cooking.

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2006
Is there any point in using something like smcFanControl to set the fans baseline setting at a higher level - say 2000 rpm?

I would have thought that slowing heating up was a better strategy than trying to cool it down once it is cooking.

No, keeping the remaining fan as low as possible makes it run longer. If the rpms ramp up, it starts to fail and I have to turn off the machine.

I know it's a bad idea to run it in this condition, but I'm away from home, and no one in town can fix it before I go back. Oh well, it seems to be ok for a few hours if I let it cool off, then use it with minimal stress on the system. Once the fan starts to get too warm, it gets louder and starts to have trouble maintaining 1000rpm and makes sounds likes it is about to seize.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.