MBP Monitor not working

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chrzis, Sep 15, 2009.

1. chrzis macrumors newbie

chrzis

I have already read other threads that are similar... but not the same as this. Any help would be appreciated!

I have a 15" late 2007 MBP that has always worked great, until recently. (10.5.8) The screen was blank this morning. I closed the lid, but the computer did not enter sleep. I opened the lid, and still nothing. (I can still hear the fan working)

I held down the power key for 5 seconds and forced the computer to turn off, and then rebooted. The computer started up as per normal, but still no screen activity. I plugged into my TV - no output signal.

I close the lid again to attempt to sleep, but no sleep. The computer is still running, even with the lid closed. I open the lid, still the same.

After doing a bunch of different things over and over, the screen came back on!

I came back to the laptop later in the morning, and I had to spend 1/2 an hour repeating the above process all over again. There seems to be no logic in my process that gets the monitor working again.

Does anyone think this is a monitor problem, or possibly a latch problem??? I've heard that the latch is an important part of the monitor...

(I did upgrade my hard drive myself about 6 months ago, but no problems since... until now.)

2. chscag macrumors 68000

This sounds more like a known problem with some model MacBook Pro machines where the GPU has died or is dying. Contact Apple. If it's what I'm thinking it is, Apple has extended the warranty for that particular problem and will replace the logic board free of charge. When you call Apple, be sure to have your model number and serial number handy.

Regards.

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Or, just make a genius appointment and haul it down to your nearest apple store, or authorized 3rd party repair shop.

Other people on the forums have reported that the geniuses have software that can quickly diagnose if your nvidia 8600 graphics chip has died. I've read that apple has extended the warranty on this known issue to three years after the original purchase of the laptop. Good luck.

4. chrzis thread starter macrumors newbie

chrzis

Well - it was the logic board. Thankfully it was still under warranty.

New logic board, no more problems.