MBP Montevina Processor Specs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by makowb, Jun 16, 2008.

1. makowb macrumors member

I know it's all speculation at this point, but I am for sure waiting for Montevina to pick up a MBP and was wondering what others think will happen regarding the processors.

Basically my biggest question is whether or not you think the processors will all be 6mb cache or if the low-end will still be 3mb. That's the only thing that would keep me from getting the low-end because doubling the cache can mean a large leap when tethered with faster clock speeds.

With the Santa Rosa/Merom set each of the processors were 4mb cache, even the low-end, so if I were to have purchased then I would have picked the cheapest hands-down. But with the Penryn procs the low-end isn't too much slower than the mid and high (2.4 compared to 2.5 and 2.6) but the 3mb cache makes it slower than the previous gen Meroms.

I found a pic (attached) containing specs and prices for the next gen Montevina processors that all have 1066 bus. I'm assuming Apple will use the Core 2 Duo set, but then I'm lost as to what they'll probably use. There are a total of 7 procs, but only 2 use 35w TDP. If you look at the chart, out of the 5 that use 25w TDP (the ones I hope Apple uses to increase battery life), only 1 w/6 mb cache will be released soon, the rest say "Q3". So, any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I can see Apple go for the power per watt spec parts rather than the pure performance parts (at least for laptops).

4. HFU macrumors regular

These would be the likely Montevina MBP processor update initially to fit the MBP price structure.

Intel T9600 Penryn 1066MHz/6MB 2.80GHz 35W (15" and 17" BTO)
    Intel P9500 Penryn 1066MHz/6MB 2.53GHz 25W (15" and 17")
    Intel SP9400 Penryn 1066MHz/6MB 2.40GHz 25W (15")

5. artivideo.nl macrumors 6502

artivideo.nl

is the extreme not ment for a lab top?

when is the montevino scheduled ?????????

6. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

wikipedia is your friend
    when will apple bother to implement it in their machines? who the heck knows, but with penryn imac got it first, about 2-3 months before the MBP, and they arent going to do anything while the back to school sale is on

7. valvehead macrumors regular

That is assuming that a smaller cache means slower performance. It is very likely that Intel improved the cache controller on the Penryn. I haven't seen a direct comparison of the 2.4 Merom vs the 2.4 Penryn. Do you have a link to one?

8. makowb thread starter macrumors member

I don't have time to wait for Nehalem, it'll probably be Q1 of next year at best, while Montevina is more likely to be Q3.

And for some reason I seriously doubt Apple would confuse their customers and have the high-end processor have more power consumption than the low and mid-range. That probably amounts to 20-30 minutes in battery life going from 35-25 (just me guessing, could be more, but I doubt it's less) and Apple likes to keep everything simple.

Anyways, here is the link showing a 2.4 Penryn is slower than a 2.4 Merom. It's not by much, but it is slower. Although, one does need to take into account that these benchmarks probably didn't test Penryn on it's new SSE4 instruction set.

I'll probably get the low-end no matter what and just replace the RAM and HDD myself, but I'm just hoping that the cache is 6mb...

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No the extreme is for laptops, just not ones that are 1-inch thick.

10. SilverRubicon macrumors member

It will be Q1 for desktop processors, don't expect to see Apple laptops with Nehamlem processors until this time next year.

11. lazydesi macrumors 6502

WWDC2009

Nehalem + snow leopard + new MBP design

12. BMP1199 macrumors member

Montevina MBPs will be announced in July/August. I'm waiting. Hopefully it will be before I go back to school.

My guess is they will probably add little things along with the speed bump like they did with Penryn.

13. PAUL BRIAN macrumors member

i wouldn't wait on nehalem unless you like being a first gen adopter

14. yaddam205 macrumors member

I've decided to kinda of wait for the MBP refresh..... I'm buying a mac mini until they are released then returning the Mac Mini :p

Anyone know if the Mac Mini will drive a 24" LCD?

Cheers *sorry to go a bit OT*

15. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

I was thinking of doing the same thing, but the Mini seams too expensive for what it has to offer.

16. yaddam205 macrumors member

Hence the return. I've got the funds for a new MBP burning a hole my account but its a want not a need. So ill pay the restock fee in the mean time.

17. Rivix macrumors 6502a

Rivix

How long do you have to do that?

18. yaddam205 macrumors member

At the Apple store I believe it is 30 days. But I'm an employee at a retail store (Not BB) that also sells apple so It's an open ended return window for me.