Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trepex

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
I was playing around with iSync last night, just checking it out, when I decided to see if it could find my Motorola RAZR cell phone. I stuck the phone in "discover" mode, plunked it down next to my MBP, then lo and behold, it was recognized and configured! I was even more shocked to find that I could use Bluetooth File Transfer to access it and add ringtones, copy pictures, etc.

Wow!!! I got sick of using Motorola Phone Tools on my PC ages ago, plus I had to use USB with my desktop. This was a beautiful surprise that I can sync / access my phone via Bluetooth without so much as installing even a driver, on my Mac.

cobravap

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2006
Ya, i have my new Z3 hooked up to isnc. had to download a plugin. My old samsung didnt work as easy. Sad thing that u cant use usb to transfer either :'(

Trepex

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
Yeah true... I'm pretty happy with Bluetooth alone. I just disable it on the phone when I'm not using it to avoid battery drain.

cobravap

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2006
yea me to. Also there is better firmware for your V3 if you want to hack it. ;-) using different FW for my z3 right now.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
You should also be able to charge your RAZR with your MacBook Pro over the USB port. No drivers necessary, just plug it in and it charges (at least mine does, Verizon RAZR V3M)

Trooperof3

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
I am Jealous!!! :mad: My Lg ENV is all cool looking and fun. But doesn't work with Isync (At least not last time i checked) This makes me want to get a new phone that I will be able to share my contacts calender etc..

unixfool

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2006
East Coast
Too old, and everyone has it. I tossed mine for a Nokia 8801.

IMO, the RAZR has aged extremely well. The fact that it is generally still desirable should hint that it's design was well-thought...which makes me want to ask which other modern phones can transfer files (address book data isn't what I'm looking for...I'm talking .mp3s and such) directly to a Mac without vendor software?

IMO, most people want phones that are compatible with other equipment. If I had a phone that was recently released to the world but that phone was rather difficult to sync with a computer system, no matter how trendy and new it was, it would be useless to me. I'd rather stick with a phone that actually works with minimal requirements than a phone that looked good or was loaded with technology yet gave me issues with normal usage.

psycoswimmer

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2006
USA
Ya, i have my new Z3 hooked up to isnc. had to download a plugin. My old samsung didnt work as easy. Sad thing that u cant use usb to transfer either :'(

I have a Z3, and I can use USB if I want. The USB only accesses the memory card in the phone but it came in my phone box.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
I can sync my contacts with my e815 but ****ing verizon locks everything else.

********ers

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I love my Sony Ericcson K810i. File transfer works a treat. Can also sync with AddressBook and use AddressBook to make phone calls or send texts.

But that's not what I use it for, I use it as a remote control device - works like a mouse, I can control the cursor, double click etc. The ultimate lazy boy device!

If I've been watching things off my hard drive (i.e. South Park, Friends), I can just stay lying down, use my phone to select another episode or whatever.

Prefer Sony Ericcsons out of any mobiles - the interface is so slick and functional.

I tossed my old Motorola SLVR in the bin I hated it that much.

Trepex

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
You should also be able to charge your RAZR with your MacBook Pro over the USB port. No drivers necessary, just plug it in and it charges (at least mine does, Verizon RAZR V3M)

wicked thanks for the tip! the driver was necessary on my PC but this would be sweet :)

Stu L Tissimus

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2007
Yep, the Razr and my MBP, I was happy to find, fit extremely well together. :D

Now if only i could find out how to put on Java applications over Bluetooth...

unixfool

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2006
East Coast
wicked thanks for the tip! the driver was necessary on my PC but this would be sweet :)

Trepex,

If you can try this an verify that it works, it would be waayyy cool. I'm more concerned with if the non-Verizon RAZR charges without having the drivers present on a Mac system. Last I checked, I couldn't charge without having drivers on the machine.

I'll try again, but my wife now has ownership of the RAZR (I've migrated to a Nokia e63), but if it works, I may contemplate taking it back. :)

Trepex

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
OK just tried! It didn't seem to start charging when it was off, but I turned it on and it immediately shows "Charging" and the battery is flashing :)

Maybe it has to be turned on to charge via USB. Would maybe make sense...

majidf

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2005
IMO, the RAZR has aged extremely well. The fact that it is generally still desirable should hint that it's design was well-thought...which makes me want to ask which other modern phones can transfer files (address book data isn't what I'm looking for...I'm talking .mp3s and such) directly to a Mac without vendor software?

IMO, most people want phones that are compatible with other equipment. If I had a phone that was recently released to the world but that phone was rather difficult to sync with a computer system, no matter how trendy and new it was, it would be useless to me. I'd rather stick with a phone that actually works with minimal requirements than a phone that looked good or was loaded with technology yet gave me issues with normal usage.

Sony-Ericsson phones, but you should check before buying, they should be standard and support right protocols. My SE W810i has absolutely no problems, both with USB and BlueTooth mode, it even finds the modem and other devices without drivers and simply works, you can even use the GPRS network without even configuring anything just choosing in the menu. Never worked for me on windows without having to look for drivers and then the grps net didnt work.

Yeah, as Kilamite said, it works as a bluetooth remote control and as trepex cell, it charges when connected via usb. Im actually using the latter feature when im traveling. I keep the USB cable as a travelcharger.

yetieater

macrumors regular
May 6, 2007
USA

My only gripe with the RAZR line of phones was the speed at which they depreciated. They hit the market and everyone snapped them up. I can't argue with the fact that they're popular - whether the original V3 is still any good is completely open to debate, though. I personally don't want to have the same phone as everyone else is carrying.

Virtually any phone with Bluetooth should work with your Mac for transferring data.

The Nokia 8801 is a gorgeous phone: http://www.flickr.com/photos/yetieater/1344132929/

henhowc

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Does the Verizon Razr actually allow bluetooth file transfer in OS X? I could never get it working on the Windows side without having to hack the stupid thing and uninstalling a bunch of stupid cell phone tool software.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Does the Verizon Razr actually allow bluetooth file transfer in OS X? I could never get it working on the Windows side without having to hack the stupid thing and uninstalling a bunch of stupid cell phone tool software.

Apple - things just work.

joshysquashy

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2005
UK
With the original razr there was newer firmware I installed that allowed video and also unlocked it! its not easy to install and requires some hard to get software tools.

What seems crazy is that the razr can sync via bluetooth but the iphone, only usb! the bluetooth on the iphone does nothing apart from headset.

Trepex

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
With the original razr there was newer firmware I installed that allowed video and also unlocked it! its not easy to install and requires some hard to get software tools.

What seems crazy is that the razr can sync via bluetooth but the iphone, only usb! the bluetooth on the iphone does nothing apart from headset.

Yeah Apple made that decision based on preserving battery-life on the iPhone.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania

What? That's ridiculous.. why in G-d's name would Apple do that?
Yeah Apple made that decision based on preserving battery-life on the iPhone.
BT hardly uses any battery power, especially compared to that screen!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.