MBP/MP Transferring files, & CRAIGSLIST Etiquette

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CharlieKirk, May 20, 2009.

1. CharlieKirk macrumors 6502

I have ~200GB worth of data on my mac pro I want mirrored to my MBP, but through a complicated sequence of events, I need to get the files off so I can clean that computer first. I'm thinking the most efficient way would be to simply buy an external HDD?

I need a 17" MBP, I've been looking through the buyers guide etc, but I've only recently rejoined so I was wondering if anybody could clue me in as to the likeliness of a new release worth holding out on in the near future. I'm moving to Europe (England) in around a 5-6 weeks, so it's imperative that I get this sorted out soon due to oversea shipping/insurance information.

Also, is it worth the HDD upgrade, not the SSD, but the 5400->7200RPM upgrade.

I need this to basically hold on to everything that I use my 2008 January Mac Pro for, so it needs to be relatively fast.

I do the general creative work/some rendering/some programming/ps/little gaming/adium/firefox/mail/ventrilo that kinda thang.

Is there anything that you could recommend?
    :apple::)

2. CharlieKirk thread starter macrumors 6502

Bumpedy bump.

Also, anyone know how I'm supposed to sell my stuff on Craigslist, I found a good buyer, but I doubt he wants to walk around with $3000.00 in cash, and I don't either...

So?

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Get harddrive.

What's wrong with $3000 in cash? Would you rather take a check? I would rather get cash.

4. macgrl macrumors 65816

Can you get some sort of bankers draft from him? Here in the UK you can get a draft that is like a check but the bank authorise it so the money will be in his account and is actually taken by the bank when he asks for the draft to be written. It is as though the bank are paying you not him. It can't bounce :)

Just a thought :):)

5. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

Not quite true, it can be cancelled, so it's always worth waiting for the money to clear in your account before releasing the goods

6. macgrl macrumors 65816

Good point, I just checked again and you are quite right. Cash is probably the only way to deal with strangers unless you want to start taking copies of id, proof of address etc. It is a criminal offense in the UK to give a cheque that you know you won't honor but unless you can get hold of the person there is not a lot you can do. Maybe paypal, although there would be fees involved

7. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

1. Yes, get an external HD. It is the best way to move large amount of files, as well as to back up your files. A good external HD is a good purchase. I recommend the WD Passport.

I got myself a 500GB one and it is sweet. Plugs in with just 1 USB cable, no power cable required, it looks great, and it is small so it can fit almost anywhere. Very convenient.

2. To sell on Craigslist, insist on cash, and bring a counterfeit pen with you (those are the pens they use on registers sometimes to tell if a bill is real or not). When you are dealing with a large sum of money like $3,000 you never know. Better safe than sorry.

My advice is to bring a friend with you, or even two friends. Arrive separately, and have your friend look out for you from afar to ensure that if something goes wrong, he can call for help or jump in with you.

Pick a public place where this can happen. I recommend using Starbucks or other coffee places.

If the unit needs to be plugged in, make sure to pick a place where this is possible to avoid any last minute hesitation by the buyer. You can also meet at your house or his house. If you are moving to England for good then it won't matter if he knows where you live(d) as you'll be gone shortly anyway.

Or you can go to his house, offer to plug in the computer and let him test it, and get the money that way, in cash. If you go this route, make sure you have a friend go in with you and/or a friend stay behind in the car, in case you are not out in a reasonable time, they can call for help or find out what happened.

And as I've mentioned already CASH IS KING. Take the cash, insist on cash, verify the cash, learn to love the cash. It is the only way to ensure that the money is there and will not be subject to any funny business later on (like PayPal disputes, bouncing checks, etc.)

And as a side note, I have sold two computers in the last 8 months or so, both for around $2,000 (Australian) and both were cash transactions in public places.