MBP multi-touch trackpad compatible w/Firefox?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joeliethegoalie, Mar 12, 2008.

1. joeliethegoalie macrumors member

My new MBP has been working extremely well, with one exception: some of the trackpad functions--namely, the three-finger swipe--are not working at all, or at least not consistently. The strange thing is, it was working when I first got the machine last week. But now, nada.

I use Firefox as my browser and the two-finger scrolling works fine, but not the 3-finger swipe. Same goes for the pinch zoom. I just tested it with Safari though, and they work w/that.

I would chalk it up as simply a Firefox issue, except that when I was trying to find a clue in Help and clicked the "open the trackpad pane of keyboard and mouse preferences," I got a message saying that the "trackpad tab is hidden b/c you do not have a trackpad installed on your computer." But I do see the trackpad pane.

And on that pane, I see the "Ignore trackpad when mouse is present" checkbox, but not the box for "Ignore accidental trackpad input".

Like I said, I'm otherwise very happy w/this computer and don't want to have to send it back just to fix what is now a minor inconvenience, but I know more uses for this feature are on the way so I do want to get it working.

Any ideas what the cause might be? Thanks for your help.

2. forrest368 macrumors member

My new macbook pro's multi-touch trackpad does not work with firefox either. The trackpad only works with Safari. Why would you rather use firefox than safari?? Just use safari and you can experience all that the multi-touch trackpad has to offer!

3. engles macrumors regular

its cause they are two different browsers... safari has always had different features such as hovering over a word and pressing [ctrl+  + d] to show the definition

4. Justinerator macrumors 6502

Justinerator

Wow, I never knew that! Thanks. :D

5. engles macrumors regular

Hey, no problem. At the risk of insulting you another very useful shortcut in safari is holding down :apple: while clicking a link or performing a google search. This opens the link or search in a new tab. This is great for looking at search results. Just open any site that looks interesting in a new tab.

6. jackellis macrumors newbie

same here

yeah, discovering trackpad problems.

i had really gotten used to some of the flash features in safari but... i switched today.

here's what did it:
    Firefox has an add on available called adblock which is mega..

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865

does anyone know of a plugn for safari which does the same???

i'd happily go back!

cheers,

Jack

7. goblues27 macrumors newbie

Use the 3.1 Beta

The 3-finger swipe works with the Firefox 3.1 beta. Doesn't work in 3.0.

8. iphonematt Guest

Yeah, I have been using the beta since it was releaded an it is great. The Firefox beta actually has more multi-touch features than safari has! Because of this firefox is now my default browser.

9. RelievedSimplet macrumors member

10. RKpro macrumors 6502

Gestures have been working in FF on my unibody mbp for months now, just get 3.1beta. I browse a lot everyday, it saves time not having to push buttons, or use mouse pointer.

11. STSNorthstar macrumors regular

This may help:

I use opera browser, and it has mouse gestures. to go back and forward with a mouse, you click the right button, and slide the cursor to the left.

With the unibody trackpad, i two finger click then slide in the proper direction. Works fine for me.

I know this is all in Opera, but I recall there being FF extensions for adding mouse gestures to FF, if they havent been added natively since my last major use of it. I'd be willing to guess a mouse gesture extension, and a setting or two would allow navigation with 2 fingers.

12. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

unfortunately it doesnt work with Safari 4

13. Tyranicus macrumors newbie

It works just fine in Safari 4 for me.

14. kaybeee macrumors member

15. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

16. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

im not sure thats a feature of safari at all, its more like a OSX system service? Safari itself, albeit has several different features than other browsers, are pretty blank, feature wise.

17. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

huh you are talking about the cntrl+cmd+d definition function right? cause i cant get it to work in Safari 4.

18. Aniki macrumors regular

It only works for FireFox 3.1 beta as of now. You might want to try out MultiClutch as others recommended.

19. MVApple macrumors 6502a

Keep insulting me please. :D

20. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

Hey there.... This thread inspired me to try FireFox 3.1(beta) and I have to say that it is great. The Multitouch support works well.:D I might have to switch back from Safari.

21. suprnovaynwa macrumors member

suprnovaynwa

Hi guys,

Are any of your trackpad buttons stiff, or don't 'click'? (pre-unibody MBP)

Mine feels as though there's something stuck underneath the button, and I don't get any good solid 'click' when I press it.

They are supposed to click, right?

22. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

Gotta love it. Isn't it great!? :D