MBP needs power button held down to turn on

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Smackitsakic, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Smackitsakic macrumors newbie

Smackitsakic

Question...I'm relatively new to Mac. I own a 2015 mBP 15", 256 SSD with 16gb ram.

The computer turns on, but it only turns on if I hold the power button for a while. Sometimes it'll take 5-7 seconds before I hear the chime. Is this normal?

Also, it's not uncommon for me to get the no proceed sign (like the no smoking sign but without the smoke) and after 5-10 seconds it goes away and switches to the Apple logo before booting.

Is this normal behaviour?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Try a SMC reset and then set your startup disk.

If that doesn't fix the problem, take it to an Apple Store.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Sounds like you are holding the power button, until it forces power off (which would usually take about 5 seconds), and the constant forced power off is causing some minor file corruption on the drive. That's likely why you sometimes see the "prohibited" symbol.
    You may want to reinstall your system, just to help assure that possible system file corruption is repaired.

Many users almost never shut off a MBPro, and simply close the lid so the system is sleeping.
    Open the lid, and start working immediately. There would normally be no real need to press the power button with that kind of usage.
    I agree with T5BRICK. Make sure that your boot drive is properly set in the Startup Disk preference pane.