MBP - never again

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacNub, Jun 26, 2008.

1. MacNub macrumors newbie

When I bought my macbook pro (2.33, 2gb) in nov 2006 I really loved it! but one and a half years later my mbp is dying!
    I'm wondering if anyone else got the following problems:

(1) heat and performance: games that I used to play smoothly are lagging as hell nowadays. When I run a couple of apps at the same time (that I used to run without any problems) it is only a matter of time that my ethernet connection stops working (internet is dead) and the sound starts to lag.
    (2) burning discs/dvds doesn't work any more. I'm not sure if it's a software problem. When it stopped working under Leopard (Finder & Toast) I managed to burn a couple of cds under Vista, but now it doesn't work there as well. I didn't have these problems in Tiger.

I really love OSX, but at the moment I think about getting rid of my mbp and buy a Vista notebook instead...

2. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

Check Activity Monitor.app or the istatpro widget to find the processes which slow down your system.
    Have you installed some tweaks or apps before the lagging appeared?
    Did the slow down appeared with leopard or did you have the problem already under tiger.

Have you tried a different brand of CDRs or another package of the same brand? I already had a package with 50 bad CDRs which seemed to be badly produced...

[ignore]
    [/ignore]

3. cjc1959au macrumors newbie

MBP - never again

Have you done an erase and install with leopard to see if it is the hardware or the software that is playing up?

Does it also play up when you use boot camp to boot into windows?

I have a similar mbp 17 and I'm not having any problems at all with mine, and I abuse the heck out of it!

Using 10.5.3

cjc

4. rokko macrumors newbie

I had one of the very first Macbook Pro 1.8ghz. It ran perfectly since day one, although it got hot it never seemed to suffer any performance issues. in the 2 years I had it osx only crashed once. I couldn't say a bad word about it.

I just sold it 2 weeks ago as I want to buy one of the next genertion mbp's when they come out.

5. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

^ what were your specs? how much did you sell it for and where did you sell it? (useful info for when i sell my core duo MBP).

6. w0ngbr4d macrumors regular

Applecare?

Did you happen to buy Applecare when you bought this MBP? If so, any issues would still be covered. My 12" PB had a hard drive failure with one month of Applecare left. It was fixed in about 2 days, very happy with my expirence. If you have Applecare, I'd give them a call.

7. panosg77 macrumors newbie

I second that :)

8. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Something is not right. Have it checked out by a Mac expert.

9. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Do an 'erase & install ' then post back with your findings :)

10. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Good luck with you new Vista laptop. No really, I mean it in a good way.
    Bye bye.

11. MacNub thread starter macrumors newbie

thx for your answers
    well, I will reinstall leopard this weekend. maybe it fixes at least the burning problem.
    applecare - yep, that would be nice, but no, I didn't buy it. Thanks to the guy who told me "don't get it - save the money".
    the problem with vista notebooks is: they are all ugly ;). I don't even like the vaio laptops... and except for autocad I really don't need/want vista. but it's sad to see your mbp (kind of) dying... but maybe the leopard reinstall helps...

12. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

I would imagine a fresh OS install would do the trick. If not then it might be worth going back to tiger?

13. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Have you done any of the standard Maintenance routines?

1. SMC reset
    2. PRAM reset
    3. Safe Boot
    4. Repair Disk Permissions
    5. Boot Single User and run /sbin/fsck -fy until you get a clean pass and then reboot
    5. Clear out all of your cache files (you can use OnyX - free maintenance utility - to do all of the caches).

I would do all of this first before anything else. If that doesn't solve your problems, then I do recommend a fresh install of Leopard.

I have the same MBP and it's almost as old as yours. No problems with it at all.

14. TSE macrumors 68030

How much free space is left on your Hard Drive? Click on your hard drive icon on the desktop to find out.

15. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Actually that's a really good idea , it does sound like the HD is almost full from what the OP mentions

16. operator207 macrumors 6502

You say its running hot, how hot? Install istat pro http://www.islayer.com see how hot, what is your CPU utilization? if its high all the time, there is your problems with lagging, heat, and burning. Probably sound and ethernet too.

Its one thing to reinstall, its another to see WHY your having the problems. You may find out its some application you don't use that is spinning out of control in the back ground. Remove it or stop it, and bam! your fixed.

Don't reinstall till you at least try. If you don't, you may have a similar problem later, and you will hate apple for some 3rd party program that is ruining your experience. You will move back to or over to M$, and end up with something else you are not completely happy with.

Note: I realize your comment of moving to Vista could be out of anger, it happens.

17. Apple-Man23 macrumors regular

18. m85476585 macrumors 65816

If it's running hotter than when you got it, maybe there is dust in the fans/on the heatsink. You could clean it out yourself with compressed air, or Apple has a service, I think it's called Pro Care, where they will clean out your computer and do other stuff for about $80.

Edit: According to their website, they only clean the keyboard and monitor.
    http://www.apple.com/retail/procare/