MBP never recognises Airport Express automatically - solved!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by adversecamber, Jul 11, 2008.

1. adversecamber macrumors regular

Hi there - I'm new to Macs so may be a daft question. I've bought a new MacBook Pro and an Airport Express but whenever I start-up the computer or open it from sleep, a dialogue box appears saying "None of your preferred networks are available" but there, in the list it offers me, is my network. So I select it, tick "Remeber network" and join. But the same problem will happen next time I open the computer.

I've been to System Preferences > Network > Advanced and there is my network listed under "Preferred Networks". I've also been to Airport Admin Utility where it downloaded some new software and restarted the Airport, but the problem is still there.

So am I missing something? I'd be grateful for any help.

2. adversecamber thread starter macrumors regular

And to add to this - my iPhone finds and connects to the network automatically each time, so I guess the problem is with the MBP?

3. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

Try changing the channel in AirPort Utility, manual setup. Might fix it.

4. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

I got a Airport Express yesterday and i have the exact same problem, whist my wife's MB has no issues at all, it jumps on it straight away, i cannot see any differences between our 2 MB's which is really frustrating. Anyone any clues?

5. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

ohh and changing channels doesn't work, the only thing i can get to work automatically is to not have any security at all, it works fine then, but insecurely. i cant fathom why the missus MB works no issues

6. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

Ok, ive got mine working, check where your system prefences application is, i bet its not in the Applications folder, move it back and it all works perfectly again!! well it does for me, but i read the fix on apple discussions, try it..

7. adversecamber thread starter macrumors regular

Carnivor - I don't care how you found out but if ever you're around Kingston-Upon-Thames, I owe you a drink! That solved it for me too.

Odd though, cos I moved some apps (including System Prefs) into another folder a few months ago but only got the problem last week when I bought a new Airport. I was planning on taking it back tomorrow morning...

But how strange that something so apparently simple as the location of an (apparently) un-related app causes the wi-fi to go tits-up.