MBP New HDD install help!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Frankydan100, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Frankydan100 macrumors regular

Frankydan100

Ok so I've just put a new western digital 1tb internal hard drive into my MacBook pro 15" I5. It fits perfectly and is connected and secured properly! So I've switched my mac on and also connected my external hard drive where my time machine back ups are! I've booted from the mac osx installation disk and selected to do a full restore from time machine back up! Ok so I'm now on the select a destination screen where u choose the disk u want to restore ur system too and it has been saying 'searching for disks....' for the past 30 mins. I've checked disk utility and my new HDD is showing there. What am I doing wrong folks? Do I need to do something though disk utility to my new HDD?
    Just so u know my new HDD is a WD 1tb Scorpio blue.
    Thanks in advance!

2. simsaladimbamba

3. Frankydan100 thread starter macrumors regular

Frankydan100

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I think I have sorted it now thanks! I went to disc utility selected the new drive then created a new partion named it Macintosh HD and selected the volume as 1Tb, it then came up straight away and it's currently restoring from time machine now! It reckons about 4hrs, think there's around 180gb.
    Cheers

4. dime21 macrumors 6502

Yes, you need to create a partition on a hard drive before you can use it. When you "format a drive", you are formatting the partition, not the raw drive. If there is no partition, there is no usable drive from the OS perspective. This applies to Windows, Linux, and every other OS too.