MBP new PCBA causing fans to go crazy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sandy Santra, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Sandy Santra macrumors 6502

I have a 2007 MacBook Pro (Santa Rosa) and I just got the PCBA replaced (motherboard/logic board) because of the NVDIA graphics card problem. (Last week I lost all video, including external monitor; this is a known bug that Apple repairs as a warranty fix, whether or not you have AppleCare.)

It's great getting back my computer, but my fans won't stop. The very instant the computer is turned on, they jump to 6000 rpm and never let up. Doesn't matter whether the battery is charged or not. Doesn't matter what drive I boot from (internal or external). I've done the SMC reset already--no dice.

I don't know whether to take it back to the shop or not. Is there something they might have forgotten to hook up with respect to the fans? I mean, is there a cable that goes from the fan assembly to the motherboard for speed regulation purposes (i.e., not power) that they might have forgotten to plug in? This just doesn't seem right.

Thanks for any info!

2. Liquidpics macrumors member

Liquidpics

Get a new one

Sounds like they permanently fixed the fans to run high so the logic board wouldn't go bad again. ;) Bring it back in and demand a new unibody. That's what I would do. People have been getting new laptops left and right for gpu failures.

3. Sandy Santra thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, that makes sense. Or maybe there are temperature sensor cables that they forgot to hook up.

Does anyone have a link to a picture that shows where these cables are and how they're supposed to be connected? I'd be happy to pop the hood and connect a few cables, if that will fix my fans problem.

Thanks!