MBP Newb Questions - Upgrading Ram - Cracked Screen Frame - More

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Counted Out, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Counted Out macrumors member

I've had my MacBook Pro for a few months now, I bought it used. It's an older 15" that came with 10.4.11 Tiger. I am going to upgrade it to Snow Leopard when that comes out, so that got me to thinking about upgrading my ram. I don't run alot of programs at once, but will increasing the ram increase my internet speed? Right now my MBP's WiFi speed is pretty slow compared to my brothers 4GB Ram PC.

I saw one website selling 4GB of Ram compatible for a MBP for around $70, is that a good price?

Also, the screen around my frame has cracked at both corners. It's really starting to bug me, but I can't seem to find any threads with a fix for that issue. Is there anywhere I can buy a replacement screen frame, or do you have to replace the whole screen? If you need pictures of what I'm talking about, let me know.

2. logandzwon macrumors 6502a

It wont take 4GB. Depending if it's a CD or CD2 it'll take 2GB or 3GB.

That said, I think it's worth it to max it out. I prefer 4GB of ram right now, although I do run virtual machines often.

3. Counted Out thread starter macrumors member

Really? I ran a test on this website and it said my computer had 2GB was capable of 4GB of ram. Are those sites just bull?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

what's the model number, you can look up the specifications, either on the apple site, or google and determine if the max ram is 4gig.

btw, some sites report you can add more memory but the comptuer will be unstable. For instance the 2007 MBP could potentially be upgraded to 8gig but people reported a lot of problems with 8gig where as 6gig was stable. My point is, don't just rely on the memory company's website to determine if 4gig will or won't work.

If memory serves me the santa rosa chipset can take 4 gig, but the older chipsets may not - but don't quote me. That's why its important to look up the actual specifications my the model number

5. Counted Out thread starter macrumors member

Where can I find my model number?

Am I correct that I have 2GB of Ram though? When I click on the Apple in the upper left, then go to About this Mac, it says "Memory 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SD Ram". That means two GB's of Ram, right?