MBP newbie, how to use hotmail with MAIL

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tkhayat, Aug 29, 2010.

1. tkhayat macrumors newbie

hi,

i have just bought my first macbook pro, i love it :).
    the thing is that when i am trying to setup my hotmail account with the MAIL application everything works fine except that the mail client only downloads two emails from my inbox, those two emails are dated in 2004, in the status box the mail client says that there are 4690 emails but it only downloads those two emails

can you please help me??

thanks

Tarek

2. mikey203 macrumors member

I do believe that because hotmail only supports POP3 you can only see your unread emails.

FWIW, hotmail does not like Mail.app. It frequently rejects the password (by frequently I mean five or six times a day!). I would very much advise switching to Gmail, not just because it works better with Mail.app but because it is actually a decent email system (unlike Hotmail).

My university uses Hotmail for student accounts so I have to keep the account in Mail.app even after switching to Gmail (Hotmail often won't let Gmail access it either), and the amount of frustration caused by something which I don't even use anymore is truly fascinating.

3. ikir macrumors 6502a

Hotmail sucks, get a gmail. Microsoft don't want you use a client with hotmail so often is very difficult to set them in any client beside msn/outlook.

It sucks anyway, change email, redirect your traffic on the new one. Done.

4. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

I support the consensus. Get gmail. You can always forward your hotmail to the account. Don't forget to get the new gmail extention for Safari as well!

5. JsR macrumors regular

I had a similar problem when I got my Macbook.

First try clicking the "Get Mail" button in the top left hand side. If that doesn't work, delete the Hotmail account and then re-add it.

If that doesn't work, follow the advise of the above posts ;)

6. FnuGk macrumors regular

i have a hotmail account at i have no problems at all using it with mail. I just choose all the default settings mail came up with when i added the account.

7. Laimbeersux macrumors 6502

While watching some football today I decided I'd play with the Mail app on my macbook pro and see if it was easier to deal with than the web based email. I have a .msn email account and a .gmail email account and found that the gmail one worked great. The stupid hotmail one synced just fine for the unread mails, the ones in my inbox, but for some reason none of my folders showed up. Not sure what I did wrong, but since I like the mail app on my iphone4 I thought the one on the mbp would be just as easy to deal with and that I'd have access to all my folders just like I do on my iPhone. Any tips all? I'd love to use the mail app but need to have access to all my folders that I have set up over the years in my .msn account.