MBP Newbie: Whats your RAM usage?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RockstarSR, Jun 30, 2011.

1. RockstarSR macrumors member

Hello guys, I recently got a new(2011 Edition) MacBook Pro 13" and i want to know whats the RAM usage of your MBPs at idle. Because, even at idle(even just after restarting MBP) , my MBP usage is ~50%(2GB or 4GB RAM in my system).

Though i'm not worried much about it as RAM is there to be used...but it is creating a major problems when using Parallels Desktop. I have set Windows 7 parallels to use 2GB...due to this i get only ~10-15mb of RAM available on my Mac...and this makes the whole system totally sluggish. :(:(

I want to know if 2GB RAM usage at idle is normal...and is it same even in your MBP..

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

RAM is cheap. Buy more and stop worrying about it. I have 12 GB right now.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's meaningless to hear other people's RAM usage because it depends on what apps/widgets/processes you have running at any given time. Even different versions of the same app may use different amounts of RAM. Your RAM is fine, unless you're experiencing poor performance and have a significant amount of page outs and swap used (found on the System Memory tab at the bottom of Activity Monitor.)

4. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

My RAM usage was about the same as yours 1.8gb (and more) of 4.0gb on cold boot. I had to buy 8gb RAM upgrade to be able to run Windows 7 in Parallels.

You may want to take a look at this 8gb RAM kit:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231295
    Newegg even gives $20 off with promo code EMCKDHB24, so you'll be able to get it shipped for $50.

5. RockstarSR thread starter macrumors member

^^ Thanks for the replies guys :) But unfortunately...Newegg/Amazon doesn't ship to my country :(

Also just want to know how much space does Mac OS takes on the HardDisk...as i'm thinking to replace the stock HDD with the SSD(OCZ Vertex 2 90GB) that i'm currently using in my desktop.

Is that a good idea to replace my HDD with a Vertex 2(3Gbps) SSD?? Will it have a noticeable difference over the stock HDD? Also is the 90GB sufficient?

6. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Concerning RAM, my MB has been on for about 15 days now. I'm playing a HD movie,multiple web browsers open, iTunes and Excel are open as well. I have 1.6 gigs of ram free. It all depends on the type of applications you have open as well.o have a ton of smaller,behind the scenes applications that I use all of the time.

Are you sure that you're quitting applications and not just closing the windows?

But if Parallels is giving you problems just allocate a single gig of ram or less to the machine,that's what I do.

7. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

I was using over 4 GB of RAM on my MBP so I had to upgrade to 8 GB. No issue since then.