MBP; No Bootable Drive.... What?!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pak^Man, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Pak^Man macrumors regular

Hello Friends,

I did something to my first Gen (Core Duo) MBP that has turned it into an expensive paper weight. I’m hoping its something minor that can be fixed. Please help!!

So I started installing Windows XP on the MBP using Bootcamp. As Windows was installing its drivers, and initial files, there was an error (nasty blue screen) that forced me to restart the MBP.

Then the same thing happened….. something about an issue with a new hard ware. But I did not install any new hardware.

I tried booting back into OSX, and I got a black screen saying that there was no bootable drive….. Tried reinstalling factory disks…. Same! Tied using the leopard disk…. Same…. No bootable drive.

Did the HDD get corrupted? Something else? Has anyone had this happen and managed to fix it?? :confused:

Given that it’s a MBP, not a polycarbonate MB, the HDD is very hard to get to and I cant just swap in another one to test.

Does anyone have any tips? I hope someone can help. I was hoping to set this MBP up for my sister to take to college in the fall.

Thanks!

2. apeacock macrumors member

I'd try doing a full drive wipe before re-installing (as long as their is nothing you need on there) - it's possible windows messed up your MBR or partition table. If you do a full wipe it should take care of those issues, and then you can re-install.

3. Pak^Man thread starter macrumors regular

apeacock, if you would be so kind as to explain at a high level, how I could do this. I can't get anything to start, so is there a way to do this without taking the HDD out?

Thanks!

4. apeacock macrumors member

Now that I think about it, try these couple of things first - reset your PRAM and NVRAM: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

Also, are you holding the option key while you boot - it should give you a list of selectable boot volumes (though I don't think that will work for you, it is worth a try)

If those first two don't work, boot your leopard DVD. Then go to utilities, disk utility and erase your internal hard drive (1 pass/zero out will be fine). I don't have a mac in front of my now so I can't give you an exact procedure.

5. Pak^Man thread starter macrumors regular

Worked...

Thanks Buddy!! It worked. I had a feeling it was something simple.... your guidance was just the help I needed. :)

Thanks again!!