Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zepharus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
What the hell is going on here? I sent my MBP down to TX over a week ago to have the logic board replaced. It got to the repair center Last Monday and have been pending repair waiting on a part.

When I called down to the apple store to have someone check, the guys says that all he can get from them is that they are waiting on a logic board. I questioned how can they NOT have a main part for repair at the REPAIR center after over a week. All he has heard was that they are in short supply.

I really love OS X, but I am very unimpressed with with the reliability on this 3 month old MBP. As a recent switcher this is a bit of a turn off, but something I ultimately will get past.

the pisser is that I use this machine for work and I have now n=been without over 2 weeks. Very frustrating. How CANT you have a logicboard there?!?!?

zepharus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
No.

The MBPs are in huge demand (as evidenced by the 2 week shipping time) and the part is just on backorder.

Then that pisses me off even more. There should be a supply on hand at repair centers to service the Macs that someone already bought. not sitting in a new Mac on the shelf at an apple outlet. I would prefer they just crack me over the head and take my wallet...

hsotnicaM

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2007
Then that pisses me off even more. There should be a supply on hand at repair centers to service the Macs that someone already bought. not sitting in a new Mac on the shelf at an apple outlet. I would prefer they just crack me over the head and take my wallet...

I understand your frustration, but, as you said they've only been out for three months. How many LB go bad within 3 months...not many. So why would they stock up on an item they wouldn't need? Especially since they are in such demand.

coogee

macrumors regular
May 28, 2007
I understand your frustration, but, as you said they've only been out for three months. How many LB go bad within 3 months...not many. So why would they stock up on an item they wouldn't need? Especially since they are in such demand.

3 month old MBP here, except its not its also sat at a repair centre waiting on parts. does this waiting period go onto the end of my warranty? does my warranty restart from when its returned?

also frustrated i've shelled out megabucks for super reliable product thats gone wrong inside 3 months, never had a PC fail this fast!

the repair centre service has been crud as well, i've heard nothing from them, nothing at all, i've had to hassle and call and get snippets 3rd hand from people there. i thought i'd be getting executive customer service on my megabucks mbp :(

yours, frustrated but calm, seated and not on the troll of Australia.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
If it's been longer than ten days since they ordered the part, call up and have it expedited. In fact, talk to the tech first, but you may be able to call Applecare with the repair order number from the repair center and get one of the operators there to expedite it for you there. If it goes past that much longer, they might even be willing to offer a replacement, especially if you make it clear (in a nice way) that you depend on the computer for work. Applecare is very accomodating, and since your computer is so new, they really want to take care of you now so you'll go ahead and pay for the Applecare extended service, which is mostly pure profit for them.

jW

janitorC7

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
California
No.

The MBPs are in huge demand (as evidenced by the 2 week shipping time) and the part is just on backorder.

there is always a change, I mean with the magnetic lid, new keyboard style, and user replaceable battery, I think there is a chance we are looking at a new design.

after all, with the imac and new keyboard, as well as the new ipod line, iphone ect. ect. the MBP is looking like almost a different brand.

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
3 month old MBP here, except its not its also sat at a repair centre waiting on parts. does this waiting period go onto the end of my warranty? does my warranty restart from when its returned?

I could be wrong on this, but I believe that your general warranty may expire, but the replacement part/work will have it's own warranty, so if a problem happens with whatever it was sent to have fixed, you should still be covered for whatever length of time the work is guaranteed for. Again, I do not know this 100%, just my past experience with Apple repairs.

zepharus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
How did the board go out? Did the MBP just not boot one day, or did something else happen?

IT would boot but I was getting random Kernal panics and the sound was like it had a blown right speaker. They replaced the speaker at the apple store and when I got it home, it did the same thing. Checked again today and they dont expet the Logic boards in until next week sometime! That will put me 3 weeks without at a MINIMUM. If it goes until later that week Ill be looking at a month. this is unacceptable to me!

Squonk

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2005
IT would boot but I was getting random Kernal panics and the sound was like it had a blown right speaker. They replaced the speaker at the apple store and when I got it home, it did the same thing. Checked again today and they dont expet the Logic boards in until next week sometime! That will put me 3 weeks without at a MINIMUM. If it goes until later that week Ill be looking at a month. this is unacceptable to me!

If it is going to be that long on a current machine, I would be surprised if you could not get a new machine from them. I'm thinking anything more than a week out of hand is unacceptable.

zepharus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Unbelievable

I get my MAcbook pro back today after nearly 3 weeks and guess what.....

SAME EFFING SOUND ISSUE after I take it home and listen to it for 30 minutes. I was close to throwing it across the room.

When I go back to the Apple store, they would now like to keep it overnight and troubleshoot software issues.

So lets recap.. replaced speakers in the apple store.....same issue
Replaced Logic board and speakers AGAIN in the TX repair facility after waiting a week to get in logicboards....same issue

Now they want to see if it is software. I asked for a replacement and was told no that they reserve the right to replace parts or diagnose until the problem is fixed. This is a random intermittent crackling and distortion sound out the ONLY the RIGHT speaker. Sometimes it sound nearly normal, somtimes it sounds completely blown and occasionaly you get no sound at all. HOW IN THE HELL IS THAT SOFTWARE?!?!

This is a 4 month old MBP and im about to pull out what hair I have left... I think I need to write Steve Jobs.. what is the addy again?

uncompressed

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2007
the boonies
WTF?

I took my MBP into an apple store earlier this week after a string of kernal panics and non-boots...

They ordered a logic board that night, and I got my MBP back tonight (with replaced logic board, new hd, and new superdrive that doesn't work, ergh). But I got a new, fully functional logic board ordered and installed in less than a week.

I have no clue why your wait's been that long... :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.