Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Oh, you mean like this third party application that controls the temp of Dell laptops?

http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/index.html

I don't mind paying a premium to not have to lug a plastic suitcase around. Below is a picture of my roommates "inexpensive" 15" Dell notebook side-by-side to a 15" Apple notebook. Notice a slight difference in mass?

Its all relative. What is that 1" vs. 1.5"(1.25"?) If you get a faster system at the expense of half an inch for some that it worth is. Meh...whatever. If Apple made a more workstation class laptop at 1.25" I'd jump on it.

lpmusix

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2006
Here are my 6 reasons not to buy C2D MBP now:

1- MBPs are hot, even after C2D. (Apple insists on calling them "notebooks")
My MBP works quite nicely on my lap--even with folding@home running, yes it's a bit warm but it's not burning me.
2- Bad LCDs! Even worst than my son's $399 PC laptop's matte LCD.
I don't think I've ever seen a more beautiful LCD in my life...
3- No memory cards reader!
So go buy a USB one.
4- Need to pay for Leopard when it is released!
And after Leopard is out, you'll have to pay for the next OS X release...Your point?
5- Megsafe connecters are not really safe!
No issues here yet, and I get the feeling people had them fray from yanking on the cable (not the connector..)
6- No FAX!
And? Hear of this amazing thing, called the internet...and email? :) Besides, if you buy the USB modem, isn't there fax functionality? I don't recall, but i thought i read that.

reflex

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2002
Consumers pay premium for Apple "notebooks" and expect to have the best. Why pay double the price for an Apple notebook and keep it for the chance to have a good LCD?! Why to pay that much of money and rely on third party software to control its temp?! Why to pay $2500+ for a computer and not having features that are found in cheaper alternatives? Why do I need to pay a lot of money and risk getting molten MagSafe adapter? Is it because of Mac OS X? Sooner or later, someone will come up with a way to run that OS on PCs. Then what?

If you've got that many reasons not to buy a MBP, then by all means don't buy one. Nobody is forcing you to get one, are they?

My reason to pay €2400 (base MBP + options) for one is that I like the way it looks and the features it offers. You don't, obviously.

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
fargo, you are so right!

In fact, you forget to add the most important feature the mbp is missing!

#7 - It has no built in ice cream machine!

I mean, what use is a 2500 bucks computer if it can't even make ice cream! I can get a used dell and buy 20 ice cream machines with the remaining money! Just think about the enormous amount of ice cream we can have!

Let's all stop buying apple hardware until they have ice cream machines!

Thank you for opening my eyes, fargo!

If you find sarcasm, you may keep it.^^

iñaki'sonMac'87

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
Barcelona
I was about to reply Fargo but after read you guys I fell.... mmm.. how can I say, r-e-l-a-x, thank you, read this forum is like watch a fight and be supporting the winner... nice jobs guys, you have beaten this troll.

the only comment that I can add, is that from my Clasic MacII - PPC8500 and my PB G3, I always have use Apple (my wife brings hers vaio) but had never join this forum because I didn't know this web.... so excuse me and other just-sign up ppl

anyway, enjoy the weekend!

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006

6- No FAX!

I hope Apple can either solve these issues or lower the prices.

My CoreDuo MacBook Pro doesn't suffer from those issues.

1. It gets hot, but not unbearably hot.
2. The LCD in my MacBook Pro is better than my £500 LCD TV.
3. Nobody uses those any more.
4. You need to pay for Vista when it's released too.
5. No they are very very safe, that's the whole point in them. Sure, there have been cases of them melting, but there have also been cases of Dell laptops exploding (a higher proportion I believe).
6. All macs have faxing, you just need a compatible modem. Never worked out how to set up the Packard Bell family PC for faxing, but I set up my MBP in a minute or two and it works fantastically.

neophenix

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2006
#7 - It has no built in ice cream machine!

Are you kidding? A couple parts milk, mix and ice in your superdrive, pop a movie in and you get ice cream while you enjoy the flick

*This advice is provided without warranty, anyone attempting this does so at their own risk*

fargo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2006
So, I need pay $$$$$ for MBP and if I need some of the features that are default even in other cheap laptops, then I need to pay more! I buy "high-end" notebook with lots of "external" USB devices hanging on it!!! Does this even seem fare?

Almost all laptops out there have card reader and modems! Laptops which are even thinner and lighter than MBP! You guys like MBP because it runs MAC OS X not because of the hardware itself.

lpmusix

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2006
So, I need pay $$$$$ for MBP and if I need some of the features that are default even in other cheap laptops, then I need to pay more! I buy "high-end" notebook with lots of "external" USB devices hanging on it!!! Does this even seem fare?
So, shut up and go buy a dell or HP. And for the love of all that is holy, learn how to spell...

neophenix

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2006

Almost all laptops out there have card reader and modems! Laptops which are even thinner and lighter than MBP! You guys like MBP because it runs MAC OS X not because of the hardware itself.

No... I'm pretty sure I like them because I am not stuck in the 90s.

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL

Yah tell me about it. I'm still pissed that they aren't shipping 5.25" floppy drives anymore. How the heck am I expected to load Windows 2 on my Core 2 Duo desktop without it. modem are a dieing breed. Move on. And I challenge you to to build a PC with 13" screen, 64MB VRAM, Core 2 Duo 2.Ghz, 160GB drive, and LD DVD burner for $1,500. And if you point to the XPS 12xx series I will point and laugh at you because you stand a 50/50 chance of having the right speaker die on that thing within a year. Why? Because of a KNOWN problem with the wiring where the right speakers cables are pinched by the bezel cover and eventually break. Dell refuses to acknowledge that there is a problem and in the last 3 months I've replaced at least a couple dozen LCD's (the speaker is built into the screen's housing.) because of this issue in some cases I've gone back to the customer's house within weeks of replacing it. Its a defect but hey. You got your built in modem right? :rolleyes:

PS- Why are we discussing this? Hey moderators! Close the thread before this starts turning troll like ugly.

CHROMEDOME

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2005
Bay Area/LA
...You guys like MBP because it runs MAC OS X not because of the hardware itself.

Isn't that why people buy Macs in the first place.

Your talking and no one is listening, I don't think you'll convince anyone to buy a dell. If you don't like macs then don't ****ing buy them, just shut up.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
*yawn* NEXT!!

I tell you what... go buy your laptop with a built in card reader and modem that requires a JCB to carry..

we're happy using good quality machines that are investments into what we do. You can buy a $2500 windows machine, but would you get $2K for it 6 months later?

I didnt think so either

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Isn't that why people buy Macs in the first place.

No. I waited 3 years for a G5 in a PowerBook to ratchet up VPC performance. I never got that but I got the next best thing. Or IMHO something better. Some of us need Windows to do our job and the G4 wouldn't have worked in my case. (And please don't tell me I should carry 2 laptops with me. Someone else did that and I spent 5 minutes laughing.)
That being said the author of this thread's demands aren't anything technical. He's nitpicking. You can't get everything you want in a system. There will alwasy be some type of compromise here or there. Media card reader? Modem? If the guy isn't a troll he is at the very least unreasonable.

I priced out a Dell laptop with the same specs as a MacBook Pro 2.33GHz. To get the same/similar hardware and software, the price is almost identical.

;)

Read my above post. Dell is **** and this is coming from someone who repairs about 4-6 of them per day. Yah know the system to really stay away from? Dell Inspiron 5xxx series. I've probably done about 3 dozen of those things in the last 5 months. Worst laptop even. To the point that Dell gives you one chance to repair it. If the part they sent out doesn't do it, back to depot because it could be one of about a dozen things wrong with it.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.

6- No FAX!

I hope Apple can either solve these issues or lower the prices.

1- Obviously, laptops are going to run hot.
2- Personal opinon
3- I personally dont a know a single person who ever used these..
4- duh...
5- Nothing is completly safe.
6- Get a fax machine

Buy yourself an old Powerbook 2400 and shut up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.