MBP no sd card reader

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tim100, Jul 14, 2009.

1. tim100 macrumors 65816

I just got a brand new 17 inch macbook pro. After reading the this article I am a little concerned that it did not come with a sd card reader like the 13 and 15. What do you think.

http://9to5mac.com/sd-card-kills-dvd-

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I think it will come with one, at the next refresh.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The article is bupkis. An SD card reader is absolutely worthless in the face of an ExpressCard/34 slot. Why can't you see that?

4. tim100 thread starter macrumors 65816

is the sd carder reader better than the express slot? also based on that article it seems important to have a sd card reader if apple will do away with optical drives.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

There is a greater diversity of things you can do with a Expresscard slot, but it never really caught on. I don't really see SD replacing optical discs though, at least not yet.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Like Tallest has said above it is way more valuable to have the Express Card for a variety of reasons, for example you cannot do eSata via the SD slot.

Plus, there is no opposite of this.

7. iVoid macrumors 65816

The SD card reader is a consumer feature Apple decided to throw in to make the removing of the expresscard 'pro' feature less of a shock.

You can get USB to SD card readers for $3 on Amazon, so no worry.

8. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

The expresscard reader is MUCH better than the SD card reader...get an expresscard SD reader and you're set...and you're also set to use it for other things if the need ever arises.

9. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

The 17" is considered a pro level machine (atleast in this community, it's still debatable) and there are alot of accessory maker's that would be royally pissed if Apple eliminated expresscard from their last machine.

I use the expresscard ssd's and planned on getting the magma box but at this rate I think i'll wait till there is no market for them and they unload them on the cheap :D

10. James17 macrumors 6502

It's unacceptable that a $2499/£1849 laptop doesn't come with an SD slot regardless. They could have easily incorporated this when they updated the 13" and 15".

11. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Okay, show me on the logic board where there is room for an SD card.

Oh, and if you don't understand the point of the ExpressCard/34 slot, you don't understand why you're wrong about wanting a dedicated SD slot.

12. James17 macrumors 6502

Scrap the Express Slot and put it there! I bet they will incorporate this at the next refresh anyway!

I do understand the point of an Express Slot but after reading the description on the 17" MacBook Pro product page which is listed below I still don't see a need for the Express Slot.

"Included on the 17-inch MacBook Pro is an ExpressCard/34 slot, perfect for add-on devices, such as eSATA or solid-state drives. If you need access to the Internet at any given time, the ExpressCard/34 slot is also ideal for using a 3G wireless card. So when a Wi-Fi network isn’t available, you can connect to the Internet anywhere there’s a cellular network."

I accept that some people use e-SATA or solid state drives but I think it is the few and I bet the majority of people use SD cards. It says it can be used for a 3G wireless card- they're going out of fashion. The latest trend is USB broadband sticks so again- no need.

13. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

The majority may use SD, but the majority is also not willing to spend that much money on a laptop (the 17 inch). The 13" and 15" fit their needs for this reason.

Once you get into the pro range it would be sad if you didn't use the machine for anything other than myspace and word processing. The target audience I assume would be pro level DSLRs, audio producers, those who need high speed storage, HD capture in the field etc. All this can be done with the expresscard slot (well, except the DSLRs which take compact flash).

It's still good to have the option there. Why would you want to limit yourself to FW800 when there are faster standards available. eSATA may not be very pretty but it has its applications. Once apple starts pushing FW16/3200 there may be the ability to extend that to express card users too.

We don't even know if the internal card reader can handle SDXC.

14. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

Get a $15 ExpressCard SD reader. Problem solved. I would take a ExpressCard over a SD slot any day. With my card reader it reads more than SD and I have the option of putting alot more in it. It sits flush with my MBP.