Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcguru83

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Hey guys,

I've ran into an interesting problem with my MBP. Earlier today, I was listening to some music with some headphone on with my MBP. After removing the headphones, I realized I no could no longer adjust the sound volume. It was as if it wasn't detecting an output device.

I also happened to notice a red light emanating from the headphone/digital-in jack. This was obviously the optical light/laser/sensor thing for the digital audio. My MBP was stuck using digital audio in, but yet there was nothing plugged in.

I googled this issue, and found reference to a couple threads on various forums. One on MacFixIt from January '07 was somewhat lengthy, with several echoing that they had the same issue.

Apparently, the sensor or mechanical device inside the jack gets "stuck" in the digital-in position, therefore not allowing sound output to the internal speakers. It was suggested that when this happens, to rapidly insert and remove a set of headphones into the jack several time. Sure enough, after about 6-7 times, it finally "caught" and the red light went off and sound was restored to my internal speakers.

Others in that thread advised that they took their MBP in for repair and the left IO board at to be replaced. I really don't like the idea of my MBP being opened up. My experience is that laptops just aren't quite the same once their gotten into.

I guess my question is this: Has anyone here had this same issue with their MBPs? I frequent this site virtually every day, and honestly don't ever recall hearing of this before. Is this a widespread issue?

I'm wondering if it was just a quirk, and it will work fine now. Inserting headphones now seems to work properly.

Very strange. Just thought I'd get some more input on the issue. Thanks guys!

thegrandmaster

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2007
Valhalla!
This has been posted here and on the Apple discussion forum before and I think I remembered what the problem is.

If you look in your headphone port is there a red light on in there?

People have said that sometimes the 'optical audio' or something to that effect, doesn't disconnect properly so the MBP thinks its still outputting through the headphone port, despite there being no headphones there, not sure how widespread the problem is though.

I recall the problem was fixed by poking around in the port with a pin. Though far from a technical fix ( I would be worried about poking inside any port with power still to the computer) it seems to have worked.

Methinks you need to poke in there with a pin or something till the red light goes out.

Hope that helps!

stracky

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2006
i had this happen to my MBP 17, yes the optical audio is stuck on, i took it to a service centre and they replaced the component. if your computer is under warranty just take it back, its an easy fix apparently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.