mbp no sound

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aceospadez, May 22, 2009.

1. aceospadez macrumors newbie

I have a mbp, it's almost a year old. 2.5 ghz. Intel Core 2 Duo.

My speakers aren't working, and my headphones aren't working. They just gave out 2 days ago, not really sure why. I didn't really do anything to them. There is NO red light in the headphone jack.

Wiggle trick and toothpick trick don't seem to work. I've reset the nvram with the command + option + p +r, I've rebooted, I've shut down and restart. There is no chime on start up. I've even done that hard reset with unplugging the battery and holding down the power button for 5 sec.

In my sound prefs the output device is internal speakers / built in output, it's not muted. When I play with the keyboard volumes, I see the white bar moves back and forth, but there is no sound at all.

When I fiddle around with the ear phones, I can hear a static buzz, which I think indicates that the ear phones are connected. They work fine on my ipod.

I dunno might be a lost cause. Any advice or tips would be much appreciated!

2. marcelg macrumors newbie

Hi there!

I had a similar problem yesterday when I could see the slide move up and down, but heard no sound. I called Apple and they took me through the resetting of the PRAM (and something else), after which, all was back to normal.

There was no indication as to why this may have happened, just the assurance that since I have a 3 yr. Apple Care on my system, they will always be there to help out.

I am sure this doesn't help you in your situation, but who knows if a phone call to Apple may not solve it.

Best wishes with solving this challenge!

M

MBP 17" unibody, 2.93 Mhz, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB 7200 rpm

3. aceospadez thread starter macrumors newbie

solution

So I ended up doing an archive and install, but it still didn't work, so I had to call applecare.

When I brought my mac in, they though the sound card was shot,. After they replaced it they realized that didn't fix anything, so they replaced the entire intel board.

Needless to say i did end up extending my applecare service.