MBP noises...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by powz, Aug 17, 2007.

1. powz macrumors regular

I just noticed a low rumbling sound (when I first heard it I thought my stomach was growling...) when my MBP loads anything from the hard drive. This is in addition to what I would consider the regular sounds... Has anyone else noticed this? Should I be worried?

On a related note, someone posted a link to all the sounds Apple considered "within spec" but I can't find it now. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Have you used Disk Utility to verify or repair your drive? :)

3. powz thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I'll check that. I might as well do a full hardware test, too.

I called Applecare and the only thing they could suggest was resetting the PRAM.....which did nothing.

I might just send it back for a replacement as I'm also having the yellowing issue on my screen :rolleyes:......... baaaad Apple.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well post back with how the tests go all the same. Hopefully we can get this fixed for you soon. :)

5. powz thread starter macrumors regular

I ran the general extended hardware test and it turned out OK. BUT here's what I got when I ran the Disk Utility:

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

and

1 HFS volume checked
    Volume needs repair

Edit: Ran Disk Utility from the install disk and it worked. Fixed a small issue but the rumbling's still there. Called Applecare for the 2nd time and they couldn't suggest anything else...so I guess this baby's going back to Apple.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Remember to keep repairing the drive until no changes are made. :)