MBP (non-retina) or Maxed out MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ryguy0587, Jan 7, 2013.

1. ryguy0587 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I am new to this forum and can't find a solid answer anywhere (maybe that is a good thing) but I am looking to buy a MacBook. I use my current laptop for blogging, normal web browsing, spreadsheets, keynote, word processors, and small video editing. Here is what I am thinking

Air: i7 (2-3.2Ghz), 8GB, 256Gb SSD, Apple Care, Key Note - $1831.99
    Air: i5 (1.8-2.8Ghz), 8Gb, 256Gb SSD, Apple Care, Key Note - $1741.99
    Pro (non-retina): i5(2.5-3.1Ghz), 8gb, 256 SSD, Apple Care, Key Note - $1841.99
    Pro (non-Retina): i5(2.5-3.1Ghz), 8gb, 500GB HD (Will self upgrade or have apple do it- to 256GB SSD-$250 as long as it doesn't affect the warranty), Apple Care, Key Note - $1641.99
    Pro (non-retina): i7 (2.9-3.6 Ghz), 8gb, 500gb HD (will self upgrade or have apple do it- to 256Gb SSD-$250 as long as it doesn't affect the warranty), Apple Care, Key Note- $1851.99

I know the Air has a better display and is lighter and then Pro has the DVD drive and extra ports. Thanks for the help!

2. simsaladimbamba

Upgrading RAM and HDD to SSD on classic MBPs (the non-retina versions) will not void your warranty and safe you 200 to 400 USD.

MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
    • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
    • 1. Getting a new HDD
    • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
    • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
    • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

For your stated needs any Mac you choose is more than capable of satisfying those needs.

3. brig2221 macrumors 6502

Completely agree. Unless you need the added portability of the air (lighter-thinner), the classic MacBook Pro is your best bet.

I recently purchased a base model 13" classic MacBook Pro ($1,199), and prior to this weekend I had NEVER upgraded a computer. That said, I was able to upgrade my computer with ease, installing 16GB of RAM ($65), and a 256Gb SSD ($250). I saved myself hundreds of dollars doing it myself instead of ordering it that way through Apple.

If I could do it, believe me, anyone could do it!

All that said, you really can't go wrong with your presented choices. Good luck!

4. Windows&Apple macrumors regular

The Pro (13/15) non-retina would probably be the most future proof. The retina, as I see it, belongs in the hands of a really detailed photo/video-editor. The Air is mainly for commuters and college/university students. I'd personally get the Pro, but Haswell is only a few months off, so if you can wait I'd do that. You would get more power for the same amount of money.

5. thegreatdivorce macrumors regular

I say go for the Air. For everyday use, and travel, the size and weight is amazing. If you don't need the extra GPU power, or optical drive, or larger mechanical HDD (just grab a USB3/Tbolt external), I think you'd be happier with the Air.

6. KPOM macrumors G5

I'd go for the Air, though I'm a bit biased as I used an Air since February 2008. I just got a 13" rMBP, though.

The Core i7 in the Air is pretty comparable to the i5 in the base 13" Pro. The SSD will make it feel faster.

7. ryguy0587 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, I would love to wait for the Haswell, but I am unfortunately in dire need of a new computer before I move to Chile for Start-Up Chile. Is there a way to upgrade the processor for a Haswell once it is released? I am told June/July is when the Haswell will be available? and if they even have non-retina MBP anymore, heard they are trying to do all retina for all models.

8. simsaladimbamba

No, it is not possible to upgrade the CPU, as it is soldered to the logic board.

9. ryguy0587 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks! Thought so, thinking about getting the MBP and upgrading to 16gb and a 256 ssd myself, much cheaper for both as compared to apple doing it (e.g. 8gb upgrade is $90 by apple and 16gb is $85 myself)

Unless I get talked into the MBA maxed out, still a tough decision, wish i could wait for the Haswell but cant wait until June/July unfortunately.

10. Poisonivy326 macrumors 6502

I got the base 13" MBP, and used my credit card reward points to buy 16gb of RAM and a 500 GB SSD from Samsung. I highly recommend going this route for all beginning Mac purchasers. Also I know a lot of posters say they never use an optical drive but I was surprised at how often I use my MBP optical drive. I do some non commercial video trading of concerts and dance events and most of that is still done via DVD.

11. ryguy0587 thread starter macrumors newbie

Think this actually may be the cheaper way to go, buy the base and upgrade myself the ram and HD. Its still between that and the maxed on Air because its newer and lighter. What will i notice performance wise with the new MBA maxed out and the MBP with an i5 and my planned upgrades?

12. Poisonivy326 macrumors 6502

I don't own an Air but my friend has one and its a great computer. The negatives are that the base only comes with 4 GB of ram and 128 GB HD and you have to pay "apple prices" to upgrade whereas with the pro you can find all sorts of cheap deals online and do it yourself. The other thing is strictly personal -- I don't like the jagged edges of the Air, it feels weird. The squared flat MBP is much more comfortable for typing IMO. But I know some others disagree so go to an Apple store and see for yourself.

FYI -- my friend loves his Air but he also has an iMac and does most of his work on the iMac and only uses the Air for business/travel purposes. If you want to configure your Air to be able to be the "main computer" quite frankly I think Apple's prices are a ripoff.

13. kage207 macrumors 6502a

I love my Air and wouldn't get anything else. I got it for $1,283. :D

It has 8GB RAM and the standard 128GB SSD. It's the i5 but I don't see value in the i7. I have 6GB of RAM free with Reminders, Mail, Messages and Chrome open but then when I use my power hungry apps I don't sweat about paging on my MBA SSD.

Though I do have an 18TB server to store all my stuff on. I'm working on a guide to help people build their own. I paid $1,300 for it though it could be much cheaper for people if they don't want 18TB.

14. ryguy0587 thread starter macrumors newbie

Good point, the MBP does what the air does and probably can do even more and at a lower price point because of the upgradability. If I go with the MBA with 256 and 8gb i7 I'm looking after 1600ish before applecare. and the MBP with i7 is under 1600 before upgrade with apple care.

Or i could go MBP with i5 and be 300 bucks cheaper, thoughts on the performance difference between i5 and i7? worth the 300? (I know the i7 comes with 8gb, so i guess the difference is about 250) but not sure if the i7 is worth it or even needed.