Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxchains155

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2009
I replaced my the RAM in my MBP with 2 2GB DDR2-800. I then found that DDR2-800 is not compatible with my MBP and it didn't boot. So I put back the RAM that came with my MBP in. But now my MBP doesn't even boot... It emits 3 beeps, seconds later it emits another 3 beeps again.

My MBP is the early 2008 model, 17-inch.

Can anybody help me please because my warranty is over.

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
Here is the article about what the beeps mean.

Try reseating your RAM. If this works, then buy the RAM you need from Newegg if you are in the US. If it doesn't work, then you have a hardware issue. You can get a set for $39.99 plus 2% cash back.

maxchains155

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2009
Okay, I have reseated, but it is still not booting.

I think I properly have damaged the RAM or the worst case, the MBP...

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Put your original ram back in and see if it works. If it does, you have bad ram, my friend.

If it doesn't, pull it out and look at the connections where the ram goes. A magnifying glass may help. Does any of the brass connections look like they're bent up or down? If so, you have damaged the slot.

GOOD LUCK!

maxchains155

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2009
Okay... I have checked, and the slot is not damaged.

The problem is that the MacBook Pro beeps when I put the origianal RAM in, and it doesn't boot when I put the DDR2-800 RAM in.

Ed: So I ordered a set of RAM recommended by brop52, I will see if it works when it gets arrived.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
If it's not working with the original ram, then I think it's one of two problems:

1. You're not correctly reseating the original ram.

2. The ram slot is damaged, even though you're not seeing it.

If the newest ram doesn't fix it, I'd take it into a local 3rd party authorized repair center to have them check it out.

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
Why did you buy new RAM if your original RAM doesn't work? You should run the Apple Hardware test in the meantime if it boots at all.

Good luck with the new RAM. If something does go wrong definitely put the original RAM back in before repair. Unfortunately if there was damage to the slots you may be out of luck for a warranty.

maxchains155

macrumors member
Original poster
May 1, 2009
I got my RAM arrived, and so I put that in... Thankfully my MBP worked again! I don't know how my original RAM is damaged, but now I am running good at 4GBs of RAM. Thanks everybody! :D

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
I have to say I'm surprised but glad it works. Let us know if anything does go wrong. Maybe you should try the original RAM on someone else's notebook that takes the DDR2 PC2-5300 RAM.

One recommendation I failed to mention was to attempt a PRAM reset. Sometimes that zaps the hardware back into proper functioning. You do it by holding down command-option-p-r at startup until it chimes twice then allowing it to boot normally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.