MBP not booting, black screen,

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mbp76, Mar 7, 2010.

1. mbp76 macrumors newbie

Have found a few threads on this but none with my exact symtoms.

macbook pro A1226 will not start-up

1) Pressed on button , no chime and black screen
    2) Press S + Return
    3) Turn off by holding down off button
    4) Turn and get chime, but still black screen
    5) Turned off again,

After that, the cycle 1-5 repeats.

On a couple of occasions, I did get a white scrreen with apple logo, and a progress bar... but it went nowhere.

Have tried resetting the ram, with no luck.

I have heard about a nvidia probem which apply to my machine.

Would appreciate some advice here.

2. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

I am by no means an expert but I think your HD might have some issues. Your gonna have to boot from included DVD, and see if you can repair the HD, you know permissions and the whole lot. so to recap, Insert DVD, hold down "C" I believe to boot from the CD drive. and do some repairing.

I hope this helps and I did not give you erroneous info.

Cheers.

3. mbp76 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, so it's fixed now... there were a whole lot of things going wrong...

1) The dreaded nvidia problem was why I couldn't see anything, took it in and had it fixed for free... they changed the whole mother board.

2) They phoned me and told me that, although the screen was working again, the machine would not boot into OS X. I told them I would have a go at fixing it myself.

3) I tried to boot from the install DVD, but the internal DVD drive was not working properly. I then plugged in an external DVD and managed to boot from it.

4) I tried to run disk utility to fix the hard-drive... but it was no good. So I booted the machine with the diskwarrior cd and proceeded to fix the HD with it.

After that, everything was fine (except the optical drive, which may just need a clean)