MBP Not Booting correctly

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Remzin, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Remzin macrumors newbie

I'm in yet another bad situation with my MBP...

First: The computer does not have adequate cooling (go figure) so a large fan is placed next to it to cool it. After being told this was a great computer to buy for mobile processing, I feel deeply disappointed.

Second: OSX starts using 1 gig+ memory while Idling. So I move to Windows completely :(

Third: I get about 30 minutes worth of battery life (compared to 90 in OSX)

Fourth: The computer no longer boots up. First, I leave my computer on battery life for about twenty minutes or so to have a nice ar(long week, whaddya gonna do?). So I come back to my computer already frozen (every time it tries to go to sleep, it freezes up.) Naturally, I hard kill it (you know, hold down the power button for five seconds.) Plug it back into power, start up my fan, and reboot it.

Nothing.

I get no response from the computer.

I thought it was just "still tired" so I let it be for a little while, come back to a full-ish battery (all five lights were on, but the power connector said it was still charging) and I boot it up. Still no response. I let it sit for about three hours while I took a nap (very, very, long week.) After I finished my deep sleep, I tried booting again. I got a response this time, so woohoo, right? Wrong. I unplug my power adapter from the computer and the wall to reposition it near the computer (closer outlet, wanted to make my setup neater looking) and guess what? The computer goes to sleep... Full battery.

Well...... Couldn't be anything right? Might've hit a button or something right? Well here we are. My computer is booting up, no chime. No white screen. The screen won't even turn on. The little light on the latch button is dim, as if it's sleeping.

MBP specs:

Mid '08.

2.4 ghz Intel Core2 Duo.
    2 gigs RAM (stock ram)
    250 gig HDD (Stock)
    8600m GT
    15 inch

I really don't want to take it in. The geniuses aren't geniuses. They just seem to want my money, they won't even try fixing it D:<

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Not sure what you mean by this. Yes, it gets warm... so do most notebooks.

Your loss.

Most Windows software isn't optimized for the Apple hardware == inefficiency.

You mention you have the model with the 8600 graphics card, the ones that have been known to die. If you ask the Genius to look at this issue it will get fixed for free.

3. Remzin thread starter macrumors newbie

Eh. Maybe I'm just a Windows guy. Not much you can really do there.

There is a problem with what you say, my computer booted up fine, so it's most likely not the GPU...

Anymore thoughts?

4. McGilli macrumors 6502

u say there is NO CHIME when the machine boots up.

sounds like you need to reset the PRAM and the other startup software built into the machine. you should always get a chime - if not - reset is needed of all the internal hardware via the key combination you need to hold down. )i forget at this time)

ALSO - Sounds like the GPU. it boots up. you leave the computer and walk away. does the screensaver come on?

if so that is the issue. that would be GPU issue.

if no screensaver is set - then just do the system resets. I can't remember how to do them - someone else here can help with that... or just check the apple site.

5. davidlv macrumors 65816

reset the PRAM

Hold down the Command+Option+P+R keys on startup till you hear the chime 2 times