MBP not booting from install disc

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by debaserrr, Apr 11, 2013.

1. debaserrr macrumors newbie

Hello all. I know there are several threads with similar issues but I figure every one is somewhat distinguishable.

So I'm trying to to a clean install on a 2009 MBP. This was running Lion (via purchase from the app store) so my natural reaction was to try to download it using internet recovery mode. This didn't work for whatever reason but I had already erased the HD. I then tried to install with a Snow Leopard disc which didn't work. Finally, I located the original install discs that came with the MBP but can't seem to boot from the install disc. I just get a gray blank stare.

Also, there is a partition for Windows that was made with Bootcamp. Could this be complicating things? Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. ianwuk macrumors regular

Insert the original OS DVD that came with the MBP. Turn it off then on again whilst holding down the Option key and then choose the DVD to boot from. It may take some time, but as long as your optical drive is not faulty, it will read the disc and then you can install the OS.

3. andy9l macrumors 68000

If all the CDs are failing to boot, it's likely your optical drive has a problem.

As a solution, however, if you can boot into your Windows partition, you could try the solution posted here (see top rated answer) to create a bootable USB installer for Lion. Of course, you need the Lion .dmg...!

Once you have your USB installer, restart and hold option ('alt') - make sure you select the USB installer, and continue through the steps.

4. IlikeMacsSoMuch macrumors 6502

IlikeMacsSoMuch

Once I had the same issue with a mac mini and I thought it was a faulty dvd drive but I believe the issue was that you can't boot from a earlier os once a recent one has been installed.

So you could boot from a windows dvd and use it to format the entire hdd, but you'll loose your windows partition. But then you should be able to boot from your snow leopard dvd using the alt key when booting the mac.

No offence but you did use the alt key when you tried right?

If this doesn't work, download OSX Lion or Mountain on a DVD or a usb stick then boot from it. this is sure to work. You'll need another Mac to download the OS from the app store, or you could borrow it from someone else since you'll have to register it with your iTunes account anyway.

good luck