MBP not booting! infinite spinning wheel

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ratch90, May 20, 2010.

1. ratch90 macrumors newbie

hi everyone,
    i need some help with my macbook pro early 2008. last month i had to change the hard drive (original hitachi) because it was corrupted.
    I put in a samsung 500gb drive, and since yesterday this one is also doing strange. I was browsing the internet and it started launching itunes and going really slow although i wasn't doing anything, then it showed a force quit window telling me there was not enough memory on the startup disk for applications, althoug i still have roughly 340gb of free space. I just thought of restarting it maybe that solved the problem. But no, since then it doesn't startup in mac os x, bootcamp works fine with windows 7 installed. But starting snow leopard just gives me a grey screen like the safe boot screen with the progress bar and the spinning wheel. the progress bar dissapears after a while and the wheel etternaly spins.

Tried single user mode and fsck -fy but it only gives me some dislocations, it gets till the repairing Tree and then says that the volume Macintosh HD could not be repaired. Also tried to reset Pram but that neither. starting up with a bootable usb with the mac os x install dvd on it gives me the prohibitory sign after 2 minutes. I still have to try with my original disc, but that one is at home and I'm not gonna be there till next month.

Also tried with a DiskWarrior Dvd but unfortunaly doesn't do anything except give a restart your computer error(see pictures). But the first line says something about not finding a driver for the platform.
    I really don't know what I can do more, and I just don't get it that the windows 7 partition is still working perfectly. While hoping the opposite I see an HD failure coming, which I don't get with a month old hard drive.
    Every help is welcome!

Attached Files:

2. aiqw9182 macrumors 65816

You will likely have to re-install OSX, I doubt you can do much else at this point. I suggest using Windows for the month until you have either your restore disks or a retail Snow Leopard disc at hand.

Bring it in to the Apple Store and see what they say.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You'll almost certainly have to get a new hard drive and install it. The success rate of any "repair" method when OS X kernel panics on startup is fairly low. If Disk Utility, Single User Mode fsck, and Diskwarrior don't work you're probably out of luck. Perhaps someone at home can mail you your original disc?

4. ratch90 thread starter macrumors newbie

well damn, already thought another replacement would be near :mad:
    I'll try this evening to take out the Hd put another one in install os X from the
    usb stick, and if it then still doesn't boot i think the only people that can do anything will be :apple:. so appleStore here I come :p

Also does anyone know how much warranty samsung has? 'cause I really don't like a brand new 500gb disk dying after a month.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You could probably look it up on their website.

6. ratch90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so looks like samsung doesn't give warranty on my drive because the place I bought it wasn't the same place they sold it to. damn that to.

Had already checked the guide out and thought maybe someone had a solution to this. but like I thought going to the apple store will be the best.
    thx everyone