MBP not booting past grey screen with logo

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tasoton, Oct 14, 2011.

1. tasoton macrumors newbie

Hi All

Hoping someone with more knowledge then myself can help me work out what wrong with my 15" Macbook pro (model A1226, 2gb ram, 2.4 core 2 duo) running Lion.

Since this morning I can't boot past the grey/blue screen with the apple logo and spinning wheel. Also weird vertical lines on the screen (see attached photo).

It was fine last night when I put it to sleep but this morning when I opened the lid, the screen was black. I waited a few minutes but no change so did a hard reset by holding the power button for 5 seconds. Ever since then I've been unable to boot.

Things I have tried include:

Booting in safe mode (Holding shift) - Progress bar completes but then spinning wheel appears and eventually freezes

Resetting NVRAM / PRAM (holding Cmd, opt, p, r) - Not helped

I have tried booting from my setup disc which came with the MBP but it’s just being spat out, the disc is a bit scratched so thinking maybe it can't be read.
    I have run fsck by entering single user mode and typing /sbin/fsck -fy, but also no luck.

I'm on lion and don't have an install CD, I tried booting from a snow leopard install USB but it comes up with kernel panic screen which asks me to force restart.

I have only just recently had to replace the Nvidia chipset due to a black screen and no video output, wondering if this is connected somehow or if its something completely different?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

It's hard to tell for certain from the photo, since the lines are really faint, but at first glance, that looks like you got a bad logic board. That pattern is common on machines that fail the Graphics Processor Test.

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009