MBP Not Booting

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by linuxpowers, May 8, 2015.

1. linuxpowers macrumors newbie

I've been handed a MBP from a friend of mine and was asked to see what is wrong with it. I've never played around with Mac computers before so I'm not quite sure what all I can do with it.

The problem right now is that it will not boot up. It starts up to a grey screen with a little wheel spinning but never gets past that point. I've tried using the special commands at boot time ie: Safe Mode etc to no avail. I can hold the Option button and get an image of the Hard Drive (Boot Disk and Recovery Disk - I believe it said), but the wheel spins forever whichever I click on.

I'm also able to start it in Verbose mode and I see,

disk0s2: I/O error
    jnl: disk0s2: update_fs_block: error reading fs block # XXXXX! (ret 5)

then it just starts scrolling endlessly something about (Hard to read):

disk0s2: 0x6 (UNDEFINED)
    disk0s3: media not present

so, I assume the Hard Drive is going or has gone bad, but I'm not sure. I spoke with the owner and he bought me an external HD, but without a copy of the OS on it, I believe it's useless at this point. Is there any way to create a boot disk/systems disk so that I can at least boot from the external HD to copy some files from the internal HD...retrieve some data?

Also, I'm not sure about this but I have available a linux computer. Is it possible to connect this via USB to the MBP and mount it's HD for data retrieval that way?

2. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

You didn't say what year or exact model this is. It sounds like the HDD/SSD went south.

If this is a model with internet recovery you can try that with a spare HDD/SSD. Barring that, you probably need the recovery media that came with the machine (if this is an older model). You really didn't provide enough information to get truly helpful guidance.

I suggest you repost this in the proper forum area and provide a complete description of the machine.

3. linuxpowers thread starter macrumors newbie

My apologies for posting in the wrong place. It is my first visit to your forum and I guess I picked to quickly when I saw Mac Pro!

As far as information about this computer, I can't get into it so I'm not sure what it is other than the label "MacBook Pro". I'll repost at the suggested link! Thanks