MBP not booting....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by slick316, May 8, 2008.

1. slick316 macrumors 6502

I guess thats not entirely true since it just booted into OS X, but it wasn't all day.

I left the MBP in sleep mode and charging overnight (as usual). I woke up and went to use it, but it wouldn't wake up from sleep mode. The light in the front wasn't pulsating like it does when its in sleep mode, but rather, it was on constantly and dim.

I held down the power button to turn it off completely, waited a minute, turned it back on. All I heard was the DVD drive make that noise when you turn the MBP on, and thats it, nothing on the screen, and the light was on, but dim again. I did that PRAM or SMC reset or whatever its called (removing battery and power and holding power button for 5-10 seconds). That didn't work either.

I let the MBP sit for a few hours, with the battery in it, and the power disconnected. Tried it again, same thing, blank screen and the power light was on but dim.

I took the battery out of it and didn't touch it until about 10 minutes ago. I put the battery back in it, and turned it on. This time, it booted, into OS X, as if nothing was wrong.

I thought I would post this before putting it to sleep or anything. Never had this issue, and my MBP is out of warranty, so I would like to find out what I can before attempting to have Apple look at it.

My MBP is a 2.16GHz C2D model, it has 2GB (1GB x 2) aftermarket ram (had it for a year), and I also have bootcamp installed and a 32GB Windows partition. I was thinking about getting rid of the Windows partition to see if that has anything to do with it, but I will wait for some responses first.

If anyone has seen this before, please let me in on any info you have, much appreciated.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Please search; there are at least 5 other threads I can find on this, one which on the front page.

Wait it out. The computer is in deep sleep and it needs to load everything back into RAM from HDD.

3. slick316 thread starter macrumors 6502

How long is process supposed to take?

I turned my mbp off last night and charged it overnight. This morning I turned it on, and its doing the same thing as yesterday, no display, power light is on but dim.

Its been 2 hours now and its still like that, this doesn't sound right to me at all.

4. haiggy macrumors 65816

Wow I have the SAME issue!
    Freaking annoying as hell.... I wonder why after a year this issue has just screwed us over?

I got mine to boot once too yesterday... everything was normal... now today, the same problem!
    Let me know if you find a fix?

5. RealaT macrumors regular

My MBP has the exact same problem as well. It never goes into sleep now and I have to hold the power button in to switch it off fully.

Mine is also taking about 5-10 minutes to boot into OSX at every boot

6. haiggy macrumors 65816

I'm not sure that it's the same problem. Mine does not wake up from sleep. It goes to sleep, just doesn't wake up. I have to force restart. When I do this it doesn't start up... absolutely nothing shows up on the display even after waiting 5-10 minutes.

7. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

This is a bit annoying advice but you can blame it on Apple:

Reinstall Leopard without the Leopard graphics update thingy. Apparently some users have been lucky. I also had this problem but it was almost completely solved by the firmware fix.

Now that I think of it, there's some OpenGL graphics glitches sometimes when waking from sleep. For instance java does a horrible job of repainting canvases all of a sudden.
    Fun stuff.

8. haiggy macrumors 65816

The problems we're experiencing we can't boot to a disk, in safe user mode or regularly at all. Reinstalling OS X isn't an option. Nothing displays on the screen. I think our graphics cards are toast/logic board.

9. haiggy macrumors 65816

Hey,
    So I just got the best service from an Apple Reseller I could have ever imagined. They said they'd have the diagnostics done by today but instead they're done repairing it!

This issue is a problem with the LOGIC BOARD. Go take it in to be replaced ASAP

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The question is: Did YOU test it?

11. Rasmus Faber macrumors newbie

The same thing happened to me. Tried all the suggested solutions but nothing worked.

But I just got it working by taking the battery out and starting it from power only. Anyone recognizing this?

Does that necessarily mean it is a malfunctional battery, or could it also be something else?