MBP Not booting

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boch82, Mar 2, 2010.

1. boch82 macrumors 6502

I have an early 2006 mbp. I was rendering an after effects project (as i do most days) and the machine shut down.

Now it wont get past the gray screen with the spinning circle when trying to boot.

I was able to install the os onto an external drive, then migrate all my files onto that so everything is backed up. I am using the computer now but have to boot from my external backup.

Already tried re-installing snow leopard but got errors 3 times saying it cant install.

I still can access my HD when booting from the external. Disk Utility says nothing is wrong.

Any ideas?

2. MagicMouse macrumors regular

MagicMouse

Sounds like you really messed that thing up more. Have you tried unplugging everything from it and then rebooting?

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Try erase and install but make sure you have all your important files in the external HD. If it still gives error, the HD might be dead

4. boch82 thread starter macrumors 6502

I unplugged it, took out the battery (drained stored power) Reset PRAM.

I didnt set up the external as a boot drive until after the crash. I did it so i could copy all my files off from the internal drive.

Hellhammer - Have an appointment at the apple store in a couple hours. Going to have the see if the hard drive is shot. Everything is backed up but I dont want to wipe the drive yet in case its something else.