MBP not charging No green light HELP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by augustoo, Oct 27, 2016.

1. augustoo macrumors newbie

Hi!

My Macbook pro late 2011 15" and my girlfriends 13" of same year model dont charge anymore.

WHAT HAPPEND:
    I was fixing my charger as it had broken down, which included som soldering etc (something i've done many times before). When I was going to plug it to the MBP to see if it worked again it gave off a spark! (between the magsafe connector and the charging port on my mac) but nothing else happend. Now it seems like something broke and i can't charge it at all and i get no indication of the computer recogizing my Mbp and NO green light.

MY QUESTION:
    How can I resolve this? is it possible its only the charging port that needs a replacement or is the issue bigger than that? motherboard issue?

Thanks in advance

August

2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

What exactly did you repair? It sounds like there may have been some crossed wires or dodgy fuse which has caused a short-circuit.

Best case is it's just damaged the charger, worst case is that short-circuit damaged something inside the computer.

What you can do is retrace your steps and have a look at that charger again. If possible use a different charger that you know works. If that still doesn't charge, then you know you've broken something in the computer. If it does work, then you likely just need a new charger.

3. augustoo thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried with a different Working charger and nothing happens.

so i know its an internal problem!

I Have been googeling a lot before posting here....

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Sounds like you've shorted out the battery controller or magsafe connector, getting the battery replaced and maybe the magsafe port could be the only answer, if you are really unlucky you may have fried the motherboard.

5. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

Eek... Well I'm not an Apple repair person here. But my guess would be that there's an inbuilt protection fuse to protect from sudden surges and stuff, now this is probably blown and needs replacing. Again there could be further damage if it was a high current that's hit it, might have melted other components. But I'd imagine there'd be protection. So I doubt there'd be further damage.

If you Google it, maybe iFixit or something, there might just be a replacement board you can put in. However I'd strongly recommend you just take it to a professional, even Apple. They would at least diagnose it and advise you on the best course of action.

I'm pretty handy with electronics myself but I wouldn't touch such an expensive device with my little DIY kit. Do just open it up and have a look, it may be pretty obvious where the damage is.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Looks like your repair did somme damage. I'm guessing that you'll have to take it to apple for diagnosis, and possible repair/replacement (of the logic board)

7. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

I'm sorry. We'd love to help you but the MacBook Pro that we've been waiting on for years (emphasis on plural) is being announced today. I'm busy getting the cheese dip, chicken wings, pizza, and Red Bull ready. Oh man, I better bring up the popcorn machine from the basement too...

8. augustoo thread starter macrumors newbie

oooohh i dont want to go to apple, too expensive and takes too much time. I know how to open it up since i have made a thermal paste replacement after apple repaired my logic board after gaphics failure.

yeah there should be some kind om safety regardign this.

good to know is that the computer works, just not the charging!
    --- Post Merged, Oct 27, 2016 ---
    yeha! hoping for a good new laptop in worst case! sad thing is that i broke my girlfriends mbp too...

9. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Ummm, no offense, but it sounds like you might not want to attempt anymore repairs on your own.

10. augustoo thread starter macrumors newbie

I can post an image here of the motherboard when i have disassembled it!
    --- Post Merged, Oct 27, 2016 ---
    haha yeah i get that ... but now its more like all or nothing :)

11. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

Most electronics with batteries have built in protection, to stop like the battery exploding in the event of a power surge. Which wouldn't be good for PR (No not a Samsung reference!). I just don't know how this is implemented on a Mac, it could be a separate board, but in all honesty it wouldn't surprise me if you need to replace an entire section. That's why I say take it to a professional, is it could just be a fuse on the logic board that's blown and simply needs replacing. I don't know where you are but would be about an hours time for someone to do it, so maybe $50? But they'd diagnose it too you see. If it's the whole logic board that needs replacing it's going to cost you several hundred instead.

12. augustoo thread starter macrumors newbie

sounds like some good advice i might take into account. im in sweden in gothenburg, so i might try to find some professionals. its just that if im going to apple the usual deal would be to send it in for a repair (which takes a while),and then agree that i have to pay 50 bux to get it back if its to expensive to repair it.

maybe there are some other experts close by

13. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

There's a lot of people who repair computers who wouldn't hesitate with a Mac. Find a local shop and just ask, you may be pleasantly surprised and find it a reasonable cost. If they just suck their teeth and say you need a new computer or something, just walk away...

I seem to remember Dixons winning the European repair contract with Apple a while back, with all Macs being sent to the KnowHow centre in Newark here in the UK. I used to work for Dixons whilst at Uni, I wouldn't trust KnowHow with a flash drive yet alone a whole computer! So I wouldn't blame you for not wanting to send it to 'Apple' on this occasion.