MBP not charging when I run Skype or games

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tokenwhitey, Oct 1, 2011.

1. tokenwhitey macrumors newbie

So I got a new MBP in August of this year (only a couple of months ago) and I began using FaceTime, Skype and playing some games on it. When I do any of the previous activities, it naturally drains my battery very quickly. So, as any average intelligence user, I began to plug in my MBP when I was doing said activities. However, about 80% of the time my battery will not charge while it is plugged in when I'm running these programs and I get the plugged in battery symbol followed by (Not Charging).

Just wondering if other people experience this as well, or if this is a rarity that I should have Apple take a look at before my warranty is up. :/

If it matters at all here is what the specs are:
    Mac OS X 10.6.8
    2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
    8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    and like it said, its only a few months old

2. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

The new MacBook Pros actually draw more power then the adapter provides under heavy load (i.e., gaming). So under heavy load the machine will actually draw on the battery as well as the power adapter. The machine won't loose charge, but nor will it actually charge.

3. tokenwhitey thread starter macrumors newbie

So, I can see how it does that when I play games, I mean Mac's are not meant to play games on but doing that with Face Time? a built in application, seems a bit strange, no?

4. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

It's not that Macs "aren't meant to play games" it's just that games, as well as video chat, puts it under heavy load. So any heavy load means it won't charge, but it won't lose charge either.

5. dlb A macrumors newbie

Not charging

I agree that I dont' think it is or should be under a heavy load doing FaceTime! I 've been having the same problem streaming Netflix but not while streaming Hulu HD? I have been using skipe on my MBP for months now almost daly and not seen the "not charging" message then today I installed os x lion and it started. seem a bit suspect.

My spects are all the same except only 4gb ram
    :)

6. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I have the early 2011 MBP and its the same.
    It takes more power than the charger can provide.

When I was playing DiRT 2, it started to drop like 1% every 20 min.

7. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

i would say you have too small of an adapter.

8. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Naw, I have a 17in with 85W adapter and it still uses more power than it gives.
    If you play games with high res and if you even use skype, your battery would start to drain.

9. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

I have a 17" with the 85W adaptor and it still does this occasionally... the full load TDP of these is slightly higher than 85W so once it gets above that the machine is not charging because it's literally using more power than just the AC adaptor provides.

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

Not only the new ones, the MacBook Pros have always done this since they came out.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As has already been stated, this is normal.
    This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

12. AdrianK macrumors 68020

FaceTime requires a lot of processing power for taking raw images from the iSight and encoding them in real time.

Check Activity Monitor when you're using FaceTime - your CPU usage will be high.

13. thundersteele macrumors 68030

As others have said, this might just be normal.

However, I do have two chargers, one of them is somewhat broken. When I connect it, sometimes the red/green light doesn't flash up. Then the battery symbol shows plugged in, the laptop is not using the battery charge, but it also says "not charging". Sometimes I can wiggle it around a bit and then the light flashes up and it starts charging the battery.

The way to check this is, whenever you experience the "no charging" situation, close some of your programs and let the CPU go idle. Then the charger should be able to provide enough power to run the laptop and charge the battery. If it doesn't, the charger might be broken, and you should get a replacement.