MBP not connecting to wireless after reboot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bungleaio, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Bungleaio macrumors member

Hi, I have now been a mac owner for 4 days now and I'm loving the change but I am having one problem.

Whenever I boot up my MBP it says that none of my prefered networks are available but it shows it in the list of available networks, when I click connect it remembers the key but states login failed. In order to connect I use the assist function then diagnostics, select airport, select my network, it then asks if my network is PPPoE or DHCP, I select DHCP, then it scans and states that the connection appears to be working correctly and I'm able to use the net.

I have to do this everytime, I have updated to the latest software available for everything but it's made no difference. Is there anything that I am doing wrong?

I have installed bootcamp and XP, this has no problem connecting to the wireless so its definately software related.

Any help would be greatfuly recieved

Thanks

James

2. Bungleaio thread starter macrumors member

3. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Try using a static ip on the Mac side. Configure this in Network Preferences for your Airport.

4. Bungleaio thread starter macrumors member

Cheers mate. Unfortunately my router won't allow this, I think it might be time to upgrade to an airport extreme

5. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

???

What does your router have anything to do what I suggested?

You change from DHCP to a static ip address on your mac, not your router. I do this with all of my computers. Each one has it's own ip address.

System Prefs -> Network -> Airport -> Advanced Options -> TCP/IP.

Just make sure the address you assign is within the same subnet as your router. You may have to select your Network name and the password again.

See if this helps.

6. Snowbound macrumors regular

Also, if you're a new mac user, a lot of macbooks and pros take a few minutes to reconnect. I'm not sure why but I know it happens with my MBP and other friends MBs. Try just waiting a few minutes to let it reconnect.

7. Bungleaio thread starter macrumors member

Sorry mate I didn't explain properly, my router wouldn't allow anything to connect with a static IP (it's a proper old G unbranded one) I changed the ip on the mac and it would connect but the router didn't allow any internet traffic through.

I've updated to 10.5.4 tonight and the problem has gone now so it was definitely a software issue. I nearly bought an airport extreme on the way home too, I'm so glad i didn't!

Many thanks for your help

8. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Ok, now I understand. But you may want to consider getting a newer router as the one you have can give you problems later on with such things as Port Forwarding or have multiple computers on your network. DHCP is ok, but if you have multiple computers and depending on the the order in which you startup your computers, you may not get the same address each time with DHCP.

I use Timbuktu Pro to support a number of family and friends computers. The all reside in various States in the US. In order to connect, I must configure their computers with static IP address and their routers with Port Forwarding. The ports I open get assigned to their IP address of the computer. If they have multiple computers on a single network, I assign each a unique IP address and a Port number to use for remote support.

You are not limited to Apple branded routers. There are many brands on the market.

9. liquidh2o macrumors 6502