MBP not detecting my HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zamikazi, Sep 29, 2011.

1. zamikazi macrumors newbie

I've had a second hard drive in one of those optibay things in my MBP 5,1. It's been super awesome, until it stopped getting detected today.

The second hard drive is getting power and is spinning up, but is not being detected at all. I've made sure the SATA connector is on tight and even clean all the connectors with some compressed air.

I swapped out the original second hard drive with another hard drive I had laying around and that one didn't get detected either.

I plugged the two hard drives into a USB enclosure and they both get detected.

I've also reset the PRAM and NVRAM.

What can I do to fix this? Could Lion be doing something fishy? Is it the logic board?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

not familiar with Optibays but do they have any electronics on them? or are they just a metal bracket that guides the hard drive into the plug for the optical drive?

3. zamikazi thread starter macrumors newbie

The optibay is a metal bracket that has an adapter that connects to the sata ribbon the optical drive normally connects with. Sorry if that sounds confusing.

I'm going to try to install the optical drive again to see if its the hdd housing or the logic board.

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

no thats not confusing, maybe that adapter is the problem if the harddrive works in a external usb housing

5. zamikazi thread starter macrumors newbie

I went ahead and swapped out the optibay with the optical drive and that isn't getting detected either. It starts spinning and all that, but nothing happens.

The optical drive does work in a USB enclosure.

So I am now thinking it's the logic board or the little ribbon that connects to the logic board.