MBP not finding wireless printer on network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by theclipper, Aug 8, 2009.

1. theclipper macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

I have run into another issue as I try acclimate myself to the Mac lifestyle. I bought the Canon MX860 with my Mac and am trying to get it to work so I can print wirelessly. I have the printer turned on and have tried to follow all the directions but for the life of me can not find it wirelessly on my mac. I have tried everything listed in the printer's booklet and its made me want to pull my hair out.

Does anyone know what I could possibly be doing wrong?

Thanks so much!
    -Clipper

2. MKSinSA macrumors regular

MKSinSA

Setting up wireless printer

Hi Clipper,

I've got a Belkin Wireless G router but an HP printer. I'm guessing the process is pretty much the same once you have the printer configured. Here's a link to the HP process for OS X 10 that might help you out. Good luck getting everything set up.

Cheers!
    :cool:

3. theclipper thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, as an update, I was finally able to find the printer on the network and get it installed! The new problem is that every time I try to print it keeps letting me know the printer is offline and unable to print. The thing is, the printer is clearly on and not offline. I'm not sure what is causing this. Looks like I might have to give apple a call and see if they can help.

-Clipper

4. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Hi theclipper,

I have the same exact printer. You're right - it is tricky to get it setup, not to mention decipher which files to download from Canon's site.

Unlike the HP machines, the printer is unable to join a network on its own. What you have to do is connect it via USB to your computer and then walk through the wireless client setup.

Once you've done this and it is connected wirelessly to your network it will show up in your printer list.

5. theclipper thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

Yes I got through the set up, finally! But as I said the problem is when I go to print it just says the printer is offline, even though it isn't. And now I just found out that it will scan and send it to the Macbook wirelessly. So its definitely on the network, I just don't understand why the Macbook thinks its offline when I try to print.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much,
    Clipper

6. MKSinSA macrumors regular

MKSinSA

Have you checked Bonjour setting?

Hey Clipper, the only thing i can think of is that it's somehow in the Bonjour setup. When you look at your printer settings in System Pref, does it indicate that it's a Bonjour printer?