MBP not getting past the blue screen

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by insomniac321123, Oct 15, 2007.

1. insomniac321123 macrumors 6502

When i went to start my MBP this morning it started completely normally until it got to the point where it goes from the gray loading screen to the blue screen right before it loads the desktop. It will not go past the blue screen. I left it like that for about 4 hours this morning and when i got back it had still not moved on. I tried reinstalling the operating system using the upgrade option, and i still does not work. I also verified the disk and permissions off of the install dvd which works fine. Both were ok. Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on.

2. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

Hold down the Shift key at startup. One of the following will happen, it will:
    1) Shut down, which means something bad happened to your hard drive
    2) Boot in Safe Mode, which means something in your startup items is cranky
    3) Stick at the same blue screen.
    Good luck!

3. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Some questions:

Did you just verify permissions or did you repair them as well?
    When the computer first starts up does it make the chime noise?
    So did you actually reinstall tiger? Archive and reinstall? Complete reinstall?

4. insomniac321123 thread starter macrumors 6502

I did repair permissions. It goes through a completely normal boot up until then: chime, gray screen with apple logo, spinning wheel. The works. Im avoiding doing a complete reinstall until i have no other options. My backup drive died last week and i havent had a chance to replace it.

5. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I would try resetting your PRAM (restart and hold down command+option+p+r) don´t think it will do the trick necessarily, but its not going to hurt.

Because of the chime at the beginning, and the fact that it runs through everything until its about to load tiger, I would say it has to be a problem with tiger-so a reinstall should solve it all, but of course not much of an option if your losing important/not backed-up files.

6. insomniac321123 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, I got it reinstalled and working. I did it with an archive and reinstall. I had it carry over user accounts automatically. The only problem now is that My account is now a standard account, not an admin account. There are no admin accounts on the system. How do I turn mine into an admin account?

7. insomniac321123 thread starter macrumors 6502

I found a backdoor to run the setup and create a new admin account. So i think everything is back to normal now. Thanks for everyone's help.