MBP + not original "DVI to VGA connector" + TV = ?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by kaskone, Aug 20, 2009.

1. kaskone macrumors newbie

hello

i just baught not original "DVI to VGA connector". I was shure it will work, but it doesn't. I tried with both RCA (Video) and S-Video. in system preferences/monitor i see that i have two displays... but the screen on tv is a bit shaking - showing nothing.....

any idea? i never tried to make a simillar config with mac, is it possible to have different resolution on mac and tv? or it must be the same?

My setup:
    connector
    - http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270433061450&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT
    - i have a MBP 2,33 dual core with a DVI-I output
    - my old sony 28 inch TV. that tv has a RCA (Video) / S-Video

2. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

From the auction:

You should have just bought a DVI - HDMI.

3. kaskone thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry i don't understand you, i dont need hdmi! my tv has only OLD RCA (Video) and S-Video connector!

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

you'll need to drop the resolution significantly to get an image on the tv. i don't have multiple monitors hooked up at the moment, so i'm doing this from memory. Normally the resolution settings are on each monitor, but there is a button on the screen that says something about "gather windows," that will bring the window from the external screen to the main screen, you should be able to set the resolution there.

when i say drop, it will require some experimentation, don't know the exact numbers but drop to 1024*768 and go down from there.

also using this as a second monitor won't work well for having to read text on something (the text will be nearly unreadable), It'll work ok for watching videos though.