MBP not reading DVDs, What are my option?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hdsalinas, Jun 19, 2008.

1. hdsalinas macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

Last night I could not read any DVD on my MBP. It would make noise like it was reading them and then it would spit them out. On the other hand it still reads CDs fine.

I have since noticed that this is a very common problem among slot drive users. What are my options? Is there a simple and inexpensive fix (like cleaning it with compressed air) or should I look for a replacement drive?

If I get a replacement drive and I attempt to do it by myself, would any slot drive work, or do I have to look for an specific model?

How have you guys coped with this issue? My MBP is out of warranty. I have contacted a local authorized service shop and I am waiting on their response.

Appreciate your help

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

It sounds like the Optical Drive is failing. You can try the compressed air bit, but I doubt if it will fix it.

You can replace it yourself. It is not difficult. OWC has a video on how to do this easily. Just click on Optical Drive tab and scroll down to the MBP 15". It is a Quicktime video that you can download.

http://eshop.macsales.com/tech_center/installation.cfm

Note that OWC does not sell (at least I could not find one on their website) the Optical Drive replacement, but I found one here:

http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts/MacBook-8x-SuperDrive-New/IF185-040

They also have a repair guide. (I find the OWC video easier as you can watch a technician do it step by step). The repair guide is here:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Core-2-Duo/115

3. hdsalinas thread starter macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

4. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

I have a MBP Core Duo 2.0 Ghz from early 06. My superdrive was replaced once through applecare ~1.5 yrs ago. I was trying to burn a CD last night and couldn't. It again sounds like the drive is dying, but my applecare has now run out. I saw the replacement drive for sale on ifixit.com but I don't really want to spend 200 dollars just so I can install Snow Leopard. Are there any cheaper options? Can anyone suggest an external burner maybe? Thanks.

5. akutad macrumors regular

akutad

Replace it yourself. Mine died in my core duo. Bought a superdrive from ebay for under $100. Then installed it. Now I can burn DL DVD as before I could not.

6. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

Yeah, that's definitely an option and I'm all for that. I don't have any issues taking the thing apart, my biggest issue was the price. 100 bucks is half as bad, but I wonder if there's anything cheaper. Also, what model did you use. I have the single-layer burner in my laptop right now, and I've seen at least 3 models for MBP drives. Will they all work? What's the max size (height) drive I can fit in there? Thanks for the help.

I guess my cheapness comes from thinking if I have to pay ~65 dollars for ebay models (36+29 shipping, or 45+20 shipping) I could just go to Worst Buy and get an external, not worry about opening it up and have a faster drive. I'd want to save some money if I was getting it online.