MBP not recognizing 800 MHz DDR2

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rmortensen, Sep 22, 2009.

1. rmortensen macrumors newbie

Just purchased 2 Corsair 2GB DDR2 800MHz sticks to upgrade MBP. Installing both sticks doesn't work but using one of the original 1GB and one of the new 2GB sticks allows machine to start and show 3GB active at 667MHz. Is there a work-around to make the MBP recognize the two 800MGz sticks or should I simply return the two new sticks to BBY? I've searched prior threads but not finding this specific question.

2. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

First of all, welcome to MacRumors!

Second, what is the exact MBP model that you have? Which year (and time of year -- i.e. early, mid, late) and if it's an unibody or not, speed of the processor (2.4 GHz, 2.8, whatever).

Third, do you have a link to the exact product you bought?

Knowing the answers to both questions may help narrow down the exact culprit.

3. rmortensen thread starter macrumors newbie

4. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

use 667MHz. 800MHz won't be as compatable as 667MHz on this model and you might run into problems

5. rmortensen thread starter macrumors newbie

so, using the 1GB original stick adjusts the new 2GB stick to the 667MHz but the two 2GB sticks together will not tool down to the 667MHz thus the machine won't even start with the total of 4GB - right?

In other words, using the 1GB and 2GB works fine with the ratchet down to the 667MHz and runs at 3GB just fine

6. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Yeah, I'd agree that's likely what's indeed happening.

7. rmortensen thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok - thanks. It appears the best solution is to simply return both 2GB sticks tomorrow and get the 667 MHz.