MBP Not Recognizing Workgroup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gdprof27, Jun 30, 2009.

1. gdprof27 macrumors member

gdprof27

Hello,

My apologies if this is a repetitive topic but I have done numerous searches and have not found a topic which matches my problem.

I recently purchased a 15" MBP which is replacing an old PB G4. I used the PB at home and at the office and it performed brilliantly. I thought the transition to the new MBP would be seamless and it has been, save for one major issue. I cannot connect to my office server.

In the past I simply brought my PB in, connected the ethernet cable in, clicked on "Network" and my office servers would appear in the Finder.

When I tried the same thing with the MBP, I clicked on (my name)'s MacBook Pro>Network only to see a small icon of an Airport Extreme Base. When I clicked on this it pointed me back to my HDD at my home which is plugged into the AEBS.

That's all well and good and I love the ability to read my HDD at home from my desk at work but that's all that clicking on "Network" makes available to me.

I have tried manually connecting though Finder>Connect to Server>Browse to no avail.

Has Leopard made this so simple that I am overlooking a simple step or is it so complicated now that I need to bring in the IT professionals?

My productivity is in your hands. Please help!

Thanks in advance!

2. JGruber macrumors 6502

Have you tried to use the Connect to Server, and just type in the server name or IP address? This happens once in a while at home, once I type the IP or name, it brings it right up.

3. gdprof27 thread starter macrumors member

gdprof27

Yep, tried both.

Get (error code-36)

4. gdprof27 thread starter macrumors member

gdprof27

An update to the situation. I am able to see and send documents to the office printer.

I still can't locate my office's project server though.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Is your MBP picking up an IP address from your work's network?

Have you tried smb://servername and smb://ipaddress ? (I'm guessing it's Windows Server).

6. gdprof27 thread starter macrumors member

gdprof27

I tried both and got the same error message:

[​IMG]