MBP not selecting the closest/strongest network

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ggabriele3, Feb 4, 2014.

1. ggabriele3 macrumors member

On one end of my apartment, I have my Airport Extreme (living room). On the other end, I have an Airport Express connected via Ethernet to the Extreme & extending the network (in the bedroom, as an access point). We have it this way because reception is very bad from one end of the apartment to the other.

For some reason, when in my living room, Macbook Pro Retina connects to the access point in the bedroom, and internet speeds drop very badly. I verified this in Airport Utility - the Express is showing that my MBP is connected, while my other devices are simply connected to the closest access point.

This problem persists after restart, resetting the PRAM, etc.

What can I do?

2. anushian macrumors newbie

i had the same problem although with different branded router and access point. my solution was to change the SSID on the access point to a different name so I could choose to connect to the faster network's SSID (in my case the ethernet connected wireless router).

The downside is that the computer will no longer seamlessly "roam" from wireless point to point due to the different SSID so you will have to connect to the living room ssid when youre in the living room and connect to the bedroom ssid when youre in the bedroom.

i havent used an airport express in a few years but i think this how youd go about changing SSID:
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/17879973#17879973

3. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

4. ggabriele3 thread starter macrumors member

It user to seamlessly roam until very recently, when it started to prefer the bedroom wireless.

If there is a way to accomplish this without creating a different SSID, that would be my preference.